"Historic Sussex Town on the Kent Border" Top 5 Page for this destination Rye by zadunajska8

Rye Travel Guide: 89 reviews and 240 photos

Historic Rye

Rye is a pretty and quaint little town in the Marshes along the Kent/Sussex Border. It was one of the ancient Cinque Ports which were vital to the economic success of medieval England. It has also been a hot bed of smuggling in the past. The centre of this small town is located on a hill and is filled with narrow streets lined with olde worlde buildings and still has a number of distinctive local buisnesses with local flavour such as local bakers etc.

Attractions in Rye

Rye has a number of attractions in the town and all are within a short walk from the train station, the walk up the hill is quite steep however. The town used to be surrounded by walls and had 4 gates. Now only one - Landgate - survives. There are other remnants of the fortifications such as the Ypres tower. The town also has a couple of pleasant churches and museums and some excellent views out accross the surrounding low laying countryside.

Camber Castle

On e of my favourite attractions is actually out of town. It's Camber Castle which is a tudor artillary fort out in the fields of the Rye Harbour nature reserve. You can't drive to it, you have to walk, and this is part of the appeal I think.

• Pros:Lovely quaint old town
  • Cons:Train connections aren't great
  • In a nutshell:Pretty little town worth a day trip in summer
  • Last visit to Rye: Aug 2010
  • Intro Written Nov 13, 2011

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Troy, I see you have lots of remnants of glorious medieval times in England. Good for you!~ Not so many in this part of the world where the Comms have ruled and ousted those gems...

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Rye is one of my favourite small towns but I have never visited Camber Castle. I will now make a point to do so when next in the area! Nor have I ever spotted the medieval herb garden, so that's another reason to return to Rye :-)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Another lovely little page of yours. Although I have explored many parts of England in the past I never really made it to Rye.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I've never been to Rye, no matter how many times I get to London it seems like there is always some place else to visit!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Nice little page you put up there.

zadunajska8

“If I haven't been there yet, then I probably want to go”

Badges & Stats in Rye