"Historic Sussex Town on the Kent Border" Top 5 Page for this destination Rye by zadunajska8
Rye Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 264 photos
Rye is a pretty and quaint little town in the Marshes along the Kent/Sussex Border. It was one of the ancient Cinque Ports which were vital to the economic success of medieval England. It has also been a hot bed of smuggling in the past. The centre of this small town is located on a hill and is filled with narrow streets lined with olde worlde buildings and still has a number of distinctive local buisnesses with local flavour such as local bakers etc.
Rye has a number of attractions in the town and all are within a short walk from the train station, the walk up the hill is quite steep however. The town used to be surrounded by walls and had 4 gates. Now only one - Landgate - survives. There are other remnants of the fortifications such as the Ypres tower. The town also has a couple of pleasant churches and museums and some excellent views out accross the surrounding low laying countryside.
On e of my favourite attractions is actually out of town. It's Camber Castle which is a tudor artillary fort out in the fields of the Rye Harbour nature reserve. You can't drive to it, you have to walk, and this is part of the appeal I think.
- Pros:Lovely quaint old town
- Cons:Train connections aren't great
- In a nutshell:Pretty little town worth a day trip in summer
The Landgate is the one surviving gate of the original four in the medieval defensive walls of the town of Rye. There is... more travel advice
Along Strand Quay are the black half timbered buildings which were once the warehouses of the thriving Cinque Port. Now... more travel advice
zadunajska8's Related Pages
Rye Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historic, Medieval Rye"
- "Rye - East Sussex Gem"
- "Historic Sussex Town on the Kent Border"
- "A Night and Day in Rye"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rye
- Hotels in Rye
- Transportation in Rye
- Nightlife in Rye
- Restaurants in Rye
- Shopping in Rye
- Warnings and Dangers in Rye
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rye
- 6 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Rye?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rye
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 35 reviews, 128 photos
- Brussels Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos
- Innsbruck Intro, 16 reviews, 121 photos, 6 travelogues
- Igls Intro, 12 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 24 reviews, 76 photos
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 75 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos
- Ardingly Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wattens Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos