"Historic York" York by zadunajska8
York Travel Guide: 1,802 reviews and 4,598 photos
I found that one of the best things about York was how compact the city centre is. And since this is where most of the sights are that meant that we didn't actually have to travel anywhere except by foot for our entire stay in the city.
We stayed in a hotel in Mickelgate which is just a short walk from the main part of the city centre and is still within the historic city walls itself.
When we decided to go to York we had certain ideas about what the key attractions would be. Some of these turned out to be right, some turned out to be very wrong.
York Minster was clearly on the list to visit and didn't disappoint. But the Jorvik centre was also high up our list of priorities and we left there feeling very let down.
The York Castle museum and fairfax House however only really featured on our 'to do' list because they were close to other attractions we planned to visit and they turned out to be real jewels.
One thing we had not expected was how young and vibrant York would feel, particularly after dark. For an English provincial town it really does have quite a buzz about the place and isn't at all the fusty old place that many historic towns in the UK can be. We found a lot of very trendy and lively modern bars and restaurants to pass the evenings.
- Pros:Comapct and pretty historic city centre
- Cons:Being Northern England, the weather may let you down.
- In a nutshell:More than just the Minster and Vikings!
To our suprise we found the York Castle Museum to be the most impressive attraction we visited in York. The displays are... more travel advice
The thing I remember most about my visit here (a few days ago) is how enthusiastic and helpful the staff (I think... more travel advice
zadunajska8's Related Pages
York Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "York - potential capital of the north"
- "The Old Capital of the North"
- "History and shopping."
- "York - a standout amongst the pretenders"
- "YORK - 2000 YEARS OF HISTORY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in York
- Hotels in York
- Transportation in York
- Nightlife in York
- Restaurants in York
- Shopping in York
- Warnings and Dangers in York
- See All...
Badges & Stats in York
- 12 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to York?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in York
Photos in YorkSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 35 reviews, 128 photos
- Brussels Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos
- Innsbruck Intro, 16 reviews, 121 photos, 6 travelogues
- Igls Intro, 12 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 24 reviews, 76 photos
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 75 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos
- Ardingly Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wattens Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos