"Rome, Dirty City of Amazing Sights" Rome by zadunajska8

Rome Travel Guide: 12,453 reviews and 28,381 photos

We loved the sights but were not 'charmed'.

Yes, sadly though we loved the sights but were not 'charmed' by the city of Rome itself. The sights and the history are without equal in the other places I've visited (even Prague!) but Rome is actually quite a dirty city and as we should expect in a major European capital, it is very busy and hectic. Some people might like this but I get enough of it at home! Despite this I'm really pleased that we went and would recommend that everyone visit Rome once, but I doubt I'll be returning too quickly.

The Vatican City

The Vatican has some of Rome's most amazing sights within it's tiny area, such as St Peter's Basilica and the Sistine chapel. It should not be missed but I'll never be able to avoid a giggle when I next hear the Pope talking about the evils of consumerism etc etc. This, the place where the Pope is absolute monarch, is the most commercialised tourist trap I have ever seen. We saw holy water on sale at 10Euros for 50ml and blessed golf balls, 4 Euros each or 3 for 10Euros. It was good to be able to send friends and family postcards with a Vatican stamp on it though.

The Best Way to Cross the Road in Rome

The roads in Rome are often hair raising! Drivers don't feel any obligation to stop at crossings etc. Guide books suggest that the best way to cross is to step confidently into the road and make eye contact with the driver(!) and they will then stop. I found the best way was to wait for a nun to cross and then go with her, Roman drivers seem to have more of an aversion to running them down.

• Pros:Amazing sights and history.
  • Cons:The city is quite dirty and drivers are completely homicidal.
  • Last visit to Rome: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Exellent tips here on Rome! Visiting Villa Giulia and the Etruscan Museum sounds very nice, not only for the exhibitions but also to come away from the crowds. I hate it when a place is full of noisy tour groups, but luckily I often visit destinations in Europe off season.

“If I haven't been there yet, then I probably want to go”

Badges & Stats in Rome