"Rome, Dirty City of Amazing Sights" Rome by zadunajska8
Rome Travel Guide: 12,453 reviews and 28,381 photos
Yes, sadly though we loved the sights but were not 'charmed' by the city of Rome itself. The sights and the history are without equal in the other places I've visited (even Prague!) but Rome is actually quite a dirty city and as we should expect in a major European capital, it is very busy and hectic. Some people might like this but I get enough of it at home! Despite this I'm really pleased that we went and would recommend that everyone visit Rome once, but I doubt I'll be returning too quickly.
The Vatican has some of Rome's most amazing sights within it's tiny area, such as St Peter's Basilica and the Sistine chapel. It should not be missed but I'll never be able to avoid a giggle when I next hear the Pope talking about the evils of consumerism etc etc. This, the place where the Pope is absolute monarch, is the most commercialised tourist trap I have ever seen. We saw holy water on sale at 10Euros for 50ml and blessed golf balls, 4 Euros each or 3 for 10Euros. It was good to be able to send friends and family postcards with a Vatican stamp on it though.
The roads in Rome are often hair raising! Drivers don't feel any obligation to stop at crossings etc. Guide books suggest that the best way to cross is to step confidently into the road and make eye contact with the driver(!) and they will then stop. I found the best way was to wait for a nun to cross and then go with her, Roman drivers seem to have more of an aversion to running them down.
- Pros:Amazing sights and history.
- Cons:The city is quite dirty and drivers are completely homicidal.
As the popular name suggests this is colossal! Of course, the real name of the place is the Flavian Amphitheatre and the... more travel advice
The Spanish Steps are one of those iconic images of Rome which you have to go and see and get your own picture of. They... more travel advice
zadunajska8's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "R O M E"
- "TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
- "Roma - Città Eterna"
- "Roma, una citta stupenda"
- "Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
- "weekends in Rome"
- "La Città Dei Sette Colli"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rome
- Hotels in Rome
- Transportation in Rome
- Nightlife in Rome
- Restaurants in Rome
- Shopping in Rome
- Warnings and Dangers in Rome
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 24 Reviews
- 76 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 35 reviews, 128 photos
- Brussels Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos
- Innsbruck Intro, 16 reviews, 121 photos, 6 travelogues
- Igls Intro, 12 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 24 reviews, 76 photos
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 75 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos
- Ardingly Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wattens Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos