"Venice at sub zero temperatures!" Venice by zadunajska8
Venice Travel Guide: 8,206 reviews and 21,714 photos
We went for a long anticipated weekend in Venice at the start of February 2012 (Friday 3rd to Monday 6th Feb) and we had the unexpected experience of a Venice which didn't manage to rise above zero degrees for the entire time we were there! A cold front had moved in across Europe from the East and was refusing to go anywhere at all. Despite the bitter cold, made worse by the wind off the lagoon we still had a great time. It would be difficult not to have a great time in this amazingly unique and beautiful city.
We were very fortunate to be off to a good start with our hotel which we had picked specifically to be close to the main attractions. It didn't disappoint. We were just 3 minutes walk (maximum) to Piazza San Marco and the Doge's Palace.
We spent our Friday afternoon exploring some of the attractions around Piazza San Marco such as the Basilica San Marco before moving on to some of the Castello sestiere of the city where we discovered some nice churches such as San Zaccaria and San Giovanni in Bragora.
On Saturday morning we continued our exploration of Piazza San Marco after breakfast with the Doge's Palace and Campanille. We then headed nothwards, accompanied by some light snow to a succesion of smaller Venetian churches, Santa maria Formosa, %L[ http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/21c0b6/]Santa Maria dei Miracoli%L*(my favourite), Santi Giovanni e Paolo and Madonna dell'Orto.
In the afternoon we took a trip across to the lagoon island of Murano and I have built a small page just for this lovely island.
We returned back to the hotel via a sunset trip on a vaporetto down the Canale Grande.
On Sunday we decided we had to explore the Grand Canal and so we set off early to the Ca' d'Oro. This was a great gallery which we really enjoyed and afterwards we had a wander down towards the Ponte Rialto and (much more rewarding) the little church of San Giacomo di Rialto.
Then we took another vaporetto trip back down to Accademia to see the Gallerie dell'Accademia and the Peggy Guggenheim Collection. Then we took an hour or two to wander the delightful little canals and side streets of Dorsoduro, eventually making our way to the Ca' Rezzonico. We finished our day by making a trip to the Basilica of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari.
Our return trip to the airport on Monday morning was eventful as we encountered a rare occurance of ice on the lagoon. It was a strange experience to be in a boat in Venice and see chunks of ice go past. We were able to get a few photos of the ice as we got to the airport docks.
- Pros:Amazingly beautiful and unique city
- Cons:It's a very expensive place
- In a nutshell:Still unique, still punches above it's weight
The Basilica of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari is huge and dwarfs the surrounding area of San Polo. The feeling of... more travel advice
Dorsoduro was undoubtedly my favourite sestiere to just wander about in. It was so much quieter and less rushed than... more travel advice
zadunajska8's Related Pages
Venice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wandering around Venice with Suvanki"
- "Amore eterno per Venezia la Serenissima :-)"
- "Venice – the City of Art"
- "Vacations in Venice"
- "MERAVIGLIOSA VENEZIA"
- "Giacomo CASANOVA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Venice
- Hotels in Venice
- Transportation in Venice
- Nightlife in Venice
- Restaurants in Venice
- Shopping in Venice
- Warnings and Dangers in Venice
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Venice
- 35 Reviews
- 128 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Venice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Venice
- Posted in Travel Bundesland Tirol Forum "Tickets from Innsbruck Airport to..."
- updated a Venice Travel Page "Venice at sub zero temperatures!"
- Wrote a Review Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari about Churches in Venice Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari"
- Commented on one of croisbeauty's Venice travel pages
Photos in VeniceSee All Photos (128)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 35 reviews, 128 photos
- Brussels Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos
- Innsbruck Intro, 16 reviews, 121 photos, 6 travelogues
- Igls Intro, 12 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 24 reviews, 76 photos
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 75 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos
- Ardingly Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wattens Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos