"Grand Dame Fourviere" Lyon by spottygirl15

Lyon Travel Guide: 587 reviews and 1,414 photos

Visiting the Notre Dame Fourviere

Tonight Alain, Alanah and I braved the numerous temperamental traffic lights to journey into the heart of Old Lyon. I had researched the town a little and found there was a Notre Dame in Lyon too. As we ventured nearer we seemed to travel back in time as the buildings became older. Aside from the blazing neon signs advertising the latest technology and the numerous buzzing eco cars you could imagine yourself back in the time of the roman occupation. Our intention was to walk the streets and view first hand some of the sights we had only read about. I had seen on my searches that some of the bridges are lit in beautiful colours at night. In the narrow twists and turns of cobblestone streets we looked up to see the Notre Dame, bathed in yellow light, sitting like a Grand Madame on her throne observing her beautiful city. We decided to follow the strings of streets - and the GPS advice to the top of the hill to see her in her full glory.

We saw her Grande façade as we topped the hill. Surely there would be no greater sight in Lyon! We stood in front admiring her splendors. The detail in each arch, trellis and statue was breathtaking. It is impossible to gain understanding as to how she was crafted. We mused that the lack of technology was no barrier to creating this magnificent cathedral. As with all great beauties she needed a little maintenance so she was draped on one side with scaffolding, which interested Alanah as her boyfriend works with scaffolding.

With a sigh of appreciation we drove on, considering our next stop. Just around the corner we could see that there would be a fantastic view of Lyon at night. We walked to the stone wall, along the side of our beautiful Notre Dame.. Slowly the sparkling jewels of lights surrounding the rivers revealed the stunning panorama of Lyon. The moon graced us with her presence and like the cherry on top of the cake she was the (cork-bottletop) Nature finished the painting more perfect than any artist?s imagination.

The slight cool breeze played with my hair as the sounds and aromas of Old Lyon mingled to create a magical ambience. I gazed with awe at such beauty and I knew I could never appreciate the history of such a place. Australia has a history of 200 years. How many people for how many centuries have stood where I now stood. A moment lost in time, where we ponder our future and our past. Moments of sheer peace from just being here and now, appreciating sublime beauty.

• Last visit to Lyon: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.