"Okutama, Ome & Mount Mitake" Okutama-ko by Ewingjr98
Okutama-ko Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 119 photos
Lake Okutama, formed by Ogochi Dam, lies at the far western edge of Tokyo in the town of Okutama, Nishitama District. The large lake was constructed from 1938 to 1957, and it is the largest source of water for the city of Tokyo. At the time of its completion the Ogochi Dam was the world's largest, with a dam height of 149 meters and a length of 353 meters. The construction of the dam displaced 6,000 people and submerged nine shrines, which were replaced by Ogouchi-jinja Shrine, located on a peninsula jutting into the lake.
The north shore of the lake is famous for its Some 10,000 cherry trees which bloom during mid-April each year.
The lake is accessible by car from Tokyo with a two hour drive. You can also take the Chuo Line JR train to Tachikawa, then switch to the Ome Line to Okutma or a number of other stations near the lake.
Ome is the last large town you will pass when heading from Tokyo into the mountains around Lake Okutama. Ome has no major attractions, but it has a busy business district around its train station, to include a number of restaurants and many shops selling local crafts like ceramics, samurai armor, kites, and more.
Mount Mitake is the most famous tourist attraction around Okutama. Here you can ride a cable car to a small village near the peak of the famous mountain, then hike about a kilometer to the famous and ancient Musashi Mitake Shrine. There are also numerous hiking trails to nearby peaks and a few waterfalls.
This large wooden house with a thatch roof near the top of Mitake was constructed in 1866 for the Baba family. This... more travel advice
Prior to the establishment of Shinto in Japan, Shugendo spiritual mystical religion was very popular. Shugendo centered... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Okutama-ko Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Okutama, Ome & Mount Mitake"
- "Far away, but still a part of Tokyo Metropolis"
- "A good place for hiking"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Okutama-ko
- Transportation in Okutama-ko
- Restaurants in Okutama-ko
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Okutama-ko
- 11 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Okutama-ko?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Okutama-ko
Photos in Okutama-koSee All Photos (80)
Videos in Okutama-koSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 259 reviews, 1383 photos, 26 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 223 reviews, 1029 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues