"Vancouver, Eh?" Vancouver by Ewingjr98

Vancouver Travel Guide: 3,943 reviews and 8,257 photos

We spent just two days in Vancouver and really enjoyed this unique and interesting city. We had a great, but expensive hotel room at the Tropicana Suites on Robson, and visited many of the major attractions in the city including Stanley Park, Chinatown, Gastown, Grouse Mountain, and the Waterfront. My favorite areas were actually Robson Street and Chinatown, but I also enjoyed the grizzly bears at Grouse Mountain, as well as a difficult hike there.

At the same time, the city has the largest open homeless and/or drug abusing population I have ever seen anywhere in the world. People sitting on the main shopping streets, obviously high as a kite on something strong just begging for money, some of them in their teens. We were offered drugs on at least one occasion. We were targets of local con artists. We were overwhelmed by the rough neighborhoods just blocks from the major tourist locations like Gastown and Chinatown. I'm a seasoned traveler, but Vancouver's problems are worse than I have ever seen, especially as they were concentrated in the touristy and rich downtown area.

The city obviously has its good and its bad, I only wish we had more time to spend here to explore the more off-the-beaten-path areas in and around Vancouver.

• Pros:Nature, diverse ethnic communities, beautiful city
  • Cons:Swarms of homeless, drug addicts on the main streets
  • Last visit to Vancouver: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 5, 2007

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2012 at 5:29 AM

My last visit to Vancouver was many years ago, so I enjoyed re-living memories through your photos and tips. Strange that it takes 10 minutes to get into Canada and 2 hours to enter the US.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2008 at 4:44 AM

Really enjoyable page on Vancouver JR. Esp. liked your restaurant tips and the outing to Grouse Mountain. Also thanks for visiting my Toronto pages.

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2007 at 11:22 PM

Very complete view about on of the most interesting canadian cities!!! I would love to visit Vancouver!;)

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2007 at 9:30 PM

Your Asian restaurant experience seems to have come in handy in Vancouver!

• Carmanah's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2007 at 11:30 AM

Cool restaurant reviews! Chinatown's somewhat of a restaurant has-been these days. Richmond (south of Vancouver) has sort of eclipsed Chinatown. Cool tips on the Korean BBQ restaurant - I've been meaning to check that out!

Ewingjr98 Visits Here Frequently!

Ewingjr98

“"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~ Ernest Hemingway”

Badges & Stats in Vancouver

Have you been to Vancouver?

Latest Activity in Vancouver