"Vancouver, Eh?" Vancouver by Ewingjr98
Vancouver Travel Guide: 3,948 reviews and 8,246 photos
We spent just two days in Vancouver and really enjoyed this unique and interesting city. We had a great, but expensive hotel room at the Tropicana Suites on Robson, and visited many of the major attractions in the city including Stanley Park, Chinatown, Gastown, Grouse Mountain, and the Waterfront. My favorite areas were actually Robson Street and Chinatown, but I also enjoyed the grizzly bears at Grouse Mountain, as well as a difficult hike there.
At the same time, the city has the largest open homeless and/or drug abusing population I have ever seen anywhere in the world. People sitting on the main shopping streets, obviously high as a kite on something strong just begging for money, some of them in their teens. We were offered drugs on at least one occasion. We were targets of local con artists. We were overwhelmed by the rough neighborhoods just blocks from the major tourist locations like Gastown and Chinatown. I'm a seasoned traveler, but Vancouver's problems are worse than I have ever seen, especially as they were concentrated in the touristy and rich downtown area.
The city obviously has its good and its bad, I only wish we had more time to spend here to explore the more off-the-beaten-path areas in and around Vancouver.
- Pros:Nature, diverse ethnic communities, beautiful city
- Cons:Swarms of homeless, drug addicts on the main streets
We drove from Seattle to Vancouver via Interstate 5, crossing the border at the Douglas (Peace Arch) Crossing. This is... more travel advice
Vancouver's two main sports and entertainment venues are BC Place Stadium and GM Place. They are located side-by-side on... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Vancouver Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Local's Perspective"
- "Vancouver, BC - Canada's Pacific Gem!"
- "Vancouver, BC, Canada!"
- "Vancouver, my current home"
- "Vancouver,the best neighbor city of the USA!"
- "Summer in Vancouver"
- "The big city on the West Coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vancouver
- Hotels in Vancouver
- Transportation in Vancouver
- Nightlife in Vancouver
- Restaurants in Vancouver
- Shopping in Vancouver
- Warnings and Dangers in Vancouver
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vancouver
- 24 Reviews
- 143 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Vancouver?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vancouver
- Posted in Travel Tamaru Forum "Re: tamaru ski package"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tropicana Suite Hotel - Robson Street"
- Uploaded a Video to Vancouver
- Wrote a Review US-Canada Border Issues about Driving in Vancouver Transportation
- created a Vancouver Travelogue "Robson Street Area"
- Commented on one of Carmanah's Vancouver travel pages
Photos in VancouverSee All Photos (143)
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 258 reviews, 1373 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 220 reviews, 1019 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues