Seattle Off The Beaten Path Tips by Ewingjr98
Seattle Off The Beaten Path: 289 reviews and 596 photos
Sun setting behind the aquarium
After hearing about the terrible rainy weather in Seattle, I never expected to see the sun, let alone a sunset. On our first night we walked down to the water from our hotel and were delighted to see one of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen! These photos were taken in the waterfront district around the aquarium and Waterfront Park.
This link (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=234 )shows the sunset times on any particular date for Seattle.
We Cheat Tourists -n- Drunks since 1929
We discovered a variety of unique and funny signs during our walks around Seattle. Some of my favorites:
* Near the Space Needle at Five Points Cafe there is a sign in the window reading "We cheat tourists -n- drunks since 1929." Reminds me of a bar in Monterey that likes to charge an extra tip on your bill.
* At the strip clubs near Pike Place Market, one sign read ":) Have an Erotic Day!." Doesn't everyone?
* At an impeach Dick Cheney protest downtown, a guy had a sign reading "Still a Dick." In some people's minds, that's reason enough I guess.
* The Virginia Inn had a sign above the bar reading "The price of anything is the amount of life you pay for it. ~~ Henry David Thoreau"
Laura over the Alaskan Way Viaduct from the park
Victor Steinbrueck Park sits next to Pike Place Market and overlooks the ancient Alaskan Way Viaduct and the Puget Sound. The park is named after noted architect and author Victor Steinbrueck, who was instrumental in preserving Pike Place Market and Pioneer Square historic districts, and he helped design the Space Needle.
The tiny Victor Steinbrueck Park is less than one acre in size, was created as Market Park in 1970 on the former site of a National Guard armory, which was destroyed by fire in 1962. When Steinbrueck died in 1985, the park was renamed in his memory.
Today the park has a reputation for combining tourists and criminals in a close setting that can be unsettling. During our visit there were a few tourists, many locals relaxing, and probably even more homeless just hanging out seeming to mind their own business. There were also 3 or 4 city police officers who seemed to have a permanent presence in the park.
Other Contact: 2001 Western Ave, Seattle
Phone: (206) 684-4075
King Street Train Station
King Street Station was built from 1904 to 1906 and features a 242 foot clock tower. After years of a lack of maintenance and interior modifications deviating from the station's original beauty, in 2006 the city purchased the station and began 19 million dollars in renovations including a return to the historic green roof.
The station is still served by several Amtrak routes along with Sound Transit Services Sounder Commuter Rail. The station is open from 6:15 am to 8:00 pm
Other Contact: 303 S Jackson St., Seattle
More Reviews (28)
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Seattle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The famous Space Needle in Seattle"
- ") @ L was great!"
- "Emerald City of the Northwest"
- "It's not always raining in Seattle"
- "Never Sip-less in Seattle"
- "A Great Place to Live"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Seattle
- Hotels in Seattle
- Transportation in Seattle
- Nightlife in Seattle
- Restaurants in Seattle
- Shopping in Seattle
- Warnings and Dangers in Seattle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Seattle
- 32 Reviews
- 131 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Seattle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seattle
Photos in SeattleSee All Photos (131)
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 261 reviews, 1398 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 226 reviews, 1055 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues
- Space Needle- 88 Reviews, 153 Photos
- Pike Place Market- 146 Reviews, 220 Photos
- Pioneer Square- 60 Reviews, 90 Photos
- Experience Music Project - EMP- 45 Reviews, 66 Photos
- Downtown Seattle- 43 Reviews, 79 Photos
- Ballard Locks- 24 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Aquarium- 26 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Museum Of Flight- 24 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Fremont District- 15 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Tulip Fields- 4 Reviews, 11 Photos
See All Seattle Things to Do