"More history than I expected--Winchester" Top 5 Page for this destination Winchester by Ewingjr98
Winchester Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 121 photos
We stopped in to Winchester one evening on a whim after a day at Harpers Ferry. I was aware of some of the Civil War history surrounding the town, but I did not expect Winchester to offer so much for such a small town. Besides the amazing amount of Civil War history, the town was home to George Washington and other Revolutionary War heroes. During our visit we saw a few of these historic sites, but we really enjoyed the old downtown area, especially the Loudoun Street pedestrian mall. We stayed at the Washington Hotel, ate at Brewbakers Restaurant and the Piccadilly Grill, and had drinks at the V2 Piano Bar.
The Winchester area was first explored by the French in the mid-1600s and was first settled in 1729 by British Citizens then later German settlers. In 1738 Winchester was founded under the name Fredericks Town, and the town was used by General Braddock's army in the French and Indian War. Later the town provided numerous troops to General Washington's Army in the Revolution. By the time of the Civil War the town had grown as a major regional transportation hub, and hence it became the site of five major battles and numerous others.
Today the town has just 25,000 people in a thriving community that has maintained its history and continued to develop. Since 1924 the town has been known as one of America's largest apple growing regions, and it hold and annual Apple Blossom Festival.
Harper's Ferry, at the border of Virginia, Maryland, and West Virginia, and at the confluence of the Potomac and... more travel advice
When in Winchester, be sure to make the 30-minute side trip to Skyline Drive at Shenandoah National Park. The cost is... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Winchester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visit Winchester in the Shanandoah Valley"
- "More history than I expected--Winchester"
- "A Big Apple"
- "Basaic Winchester Page"
- "Winc City Virginia"
- "Apple Blossom Festival, 2002"
- "talan's new Winchester page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Winchester
- Hotels in Winchester
- Nightlife in Winchester
- Restaurants in Winchester
- Shopping in Winchester
- Warnings and Dangers in Winchester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Winchester
- 12 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Winchester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Winchester
- updated a Winchester Travel Page "More history than I expected--Winchester"
- Posted in Travel Seoul Forum "Re: About Area in Yongsan-gu ,..."
- Commented on one of chewy3326's Winchester travel pages
- Wrote a Review Visit nearby Harpers Ferry, West Virginia in Winchester Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visit nearby Harpers Ferry, West Virginia"
Photos in WinchesterSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Japan Intro, 408 reviews, 1927 photos, 15 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 328 reviews, 1788 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 264 reviews, 1285 photos, 30 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 472 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues