"Occoquan is at the end of the water" Occoquan by Ewingjr98
Occoquan Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 94 photos
I spent an evening in Occoquan in July 2009. I was heading down to Prince William County to watch the Potomac Nationals (Washington National's single A baseball team) play against the Lynchburg Hillcats (Pittsburgh Pirates affiliate). Before the game, I took a little tour of Occoquan, a town I had previously only known from the traffic reports, and I barely knew the difference between the Occoquan and the Pentagon. Now I've learned that Occoquan is a tiny little historic town on the banks of the river with the same name.
A sign on the west side of town, describes the area's history:
Nathaniel Ellicott formally established
the town in 1804, bringing to fruition
industrial and commercial developments
begun 'at or near the Falls of Occoquan'
by John Ballendine c. 1750. The estuary
of the Occoquan has attracted the att-
ention of travelers since the time of
John Smith. Adjacent lands were patented
by the 1850s; copper was being shipped
from 'King' Carter's landing, and tobacco
from a public warehouse by the 1780s.
Prince William County Historical Commission 1976
Some of the earliest business in Occoquan was King Carter's landing where copper and tobacco were shipped down the... more travel advice
Tim's Rivershore Restaurant ... half the fun is getting there! For game seven of the Stanley Cup finals, we decided to... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Occoquan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "OCCOQUAN-translates from a Dogue Indian word"
- "A unique town by the river"
- "Oasis in the Suburban Sprawl"
- "Occoquan is at the end of the water"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Occoquan
- Transportation in Occoquan
- Restaurants in Occoquan
- Shopping in Occoquan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Occoquan
- 10 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (105)
Have you been to Occoquan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Occoquan
Photos in OccoquanSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Japan Intro, 408 reviews, 1927 photos, 15 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 328 reviews, 1788 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 264 reviews, 1285 photos, 30 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 472 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues