"Washington's Mount Vernon Plantation" Mount Vernon by Ewingjr98
Mount Vernon Travel Guide: 188 reviews and 411 photos
Mount Vernon was George Washington's home on the Potomac from 1759 through 1799. At its peak, the plantation had 8,000 acres of land, 45 of which are open to the public today. Though a walk on the grounds is very pleasant, the highlight of this trip is the tour of the 21-room mansion. Just be prepared for a very long wait! When I visited the estate in 2001, the line to visit the house was over one hour long, so we decided to skip it (they claim there is usually no wait in Jan, Feb, Mar, and Nov)! On a more recent trip in 2009, the crowds were much smaller, so we had lunch at the Mount Vernon Inn, checked out the Greenhouse, then toured the mansion after about 20 minutes in line. Our favorite spots were the back porch overlooking the Potomac River, Washington's Tomb, and the gardens.
To get to Mount Vernon, just follow the George Washington Parkway; the house is 16 miles south of Washington DC. The entry fee is now $15 (climbing dramatically from about $9 in 2002 to $11 in 2007). It is open every day of the year from 8am to 5pm in the summer and 9am to 4pm in the winter.
George Washington's Gristmill and Distillery are located about three miles west of Mount Vernon on Route 235. They were part of the original estate, with the gristmill constructed in 1771 and the distillery established in 1797. The gristmill ground wheat into flour, and it is said the distillery produced 11,000 gallons of whiskey a year, making it the largest distillery in America at the time. The distillery was destroyed around 1814 and the mill was demolished in the 1850s. The mill was rebuilt in 1933 and the distillery reconstructed in 2007. Open to the public from April through October.
The area around Little Hunting Creek was in George Washington's family for many generations. His great grandfather, John... more travel advice
George Washington's Gristmill and Distillery are located about three miles west of Mount Vernon on Route 235. They were... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Mount Vernon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of great farmer and the first US president !"
- "~Mount Vernon~"
- "George Washington Slept Here!"
- "MOUNT VERNON,VIRGINIA--Home Of Our First President"
- "a Sunny day at mount Vernon"
- "Washington's Mount Vernon Plantation"
- "Mount Vernon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Vernon
- Hotels in Mount Vernon
- Transportation in Mount Vernon
- Restaurants in Mount Vernon
- Shopping in Mount Vernon
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Vernon
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mount Vernon
- 17 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Mount Vernon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Vernon
Photos in Mount VernonSee All Photos (73)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1242 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 211 reviews, 822 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 138 reviews, 685 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 80 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues