"Lynchburg, Blue Ridge Parkway, and Natural Bridge" Lynchburg by Ewingjr98
Lynchburg Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 32 photos
I stopped in Lynchburg for a night while driving back from the Blue Ridge Parkway in western Virginia. For a town of 60,000+ there is little to do or see in downtown. After about 8pm, I could only find two restaurants open. It seems as though this is one of those cities whose downtowns have completely fallen by the wayside in exchange for the malls and chain restaurants of suburbia... shame. Even the Lynchburg Guide could only find one or two restaurants worth mentioning downtown.
If you decide to stay in Lynchburg, get a hotel near the shopping areas around the city, because you will be bored downtown.
Lynchburg is the largest city along the Blue Ridge Parkway, thus it has become of of the major gateways to the park. Also not far from Lynchburg is Natural Bridge, Virginia, a place loved by Thomas Jefferson. To the east of Lynchburg only about 20 miles is Appomattox, where the Army of Northern Virginia under Robert E. Lee surrendered to Ulysses S. Grant's Army of the Potomac.
Note... population numbers (60k+ residents in Lynchburg) come directly from the US Census Bureau. I didn't make them up, despite what some opinionated Lynchburg locals might. Some of the nasty e-mails I've received also state just how wonderful downtown is; maybe they should leave town once in awhile!
- Pros:The name is the same as Lynchburg, TN... home of Jack Daniels!
- Cons:Downtown is a ghost town
- In a nutshell:Visit Charlottesville instead!
Lynchburg is the Pittsburgh Pirates single-A affiliate of the minor league baseball system. The Hillcats play in Calvin... more travel advice
The Natural Bridge itself is a wonderful monument to the power and mystery of nature. The other tourist attractions in... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Lynchburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lynchburg, Blue Ridge Parkway, and Natural Bridge"
- "FreeCloud's new Lynchburg Page"
- "Lynchburg, Virginia"
- "Liberty University"
- "HLSJHavey's new Lynchburg Page"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lynchburg
- 8 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Lynchburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lynchburg
Photos in LynchburgSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 225 reviews, 1208 photos, 24 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 184 reviews, 823 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues