George Washington Birthplace National Monument Restaurant Tips by Ewingjr98
George Washington Birthplace National Monument Restaurants: 1 reviews and 5 photos
We drove by Wilkerson's around 3pm on our way through the area heading to George Washington's Birthplace National Historic Site. It looked pretty good, so after touring this monument then checking out the town of Colonial Heights, we stopped in for an early dinner at around 5pm.
The parking lot was full in front of the restaurant, so we parked in the big gravel lot across the street. When we entered, we could smell the fried seafood entrees, and after not eating all day, our mouths were watering. Upon entering, we realized the restaurant had a cafeteria feel, almost too sterile for a waterfront crab shack of sorts, and it was full of old people! Then we saw the buffet and realized it was entirely fried food, and it was around $30 a person... way too expensive!
We were seated near the windows and the views were nice. The menu had a lot of good options, but I was disappointed there were no blue crabs except soft shells. We decided to get two of the entrees: the soft shell crab platter and the crab cake platter, both around $18. While we waited, we were served some of the best hush puppies I've ever had... we quickly downed the whole basket and got seconds! When our meals came, there were two crab cakes and two soft shell crabs so we split them in order to try both. Both were very tasty, though the soft shell crabs were missing most of the legs, what I consider the best part of the animal. Our meals also came with fries and one visit to the small salad bar for a total of $47 for the two of us.
Overall, this was pretty average seafood, with an expensive fried buffet, and soft shells missing most of their legs. Not the worst experience ever, but for a much better meal try Tim's Rivershore Crabhouse up the river in Dumfries, VA.
Address: 3900 Mckinney Blvd, Colonial Beach, VA 22443
Comparison: more expensive than average
Phone: (804) 224-7117
More Reviews (11)
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
George Washington Birthplace National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The First Home of Our First President"
- "George Washington Slept Here"
- See All...
- Things to Do in George Washington Birthplace National Monument
- Restaurants in George Washington Birthplace National Monument
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in George Washington Birthplace National Monument
- 12 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to George Washington Birthplace National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in George Washington Birthplace National Monument
- Posted in Travel Tokyo Forum "Re: Tokyo travel"
- Wrote a Review Washington's Birthplace National Historic Monument in George Washington Birthplace National Monument Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Washington's Birthplace: Memorial Obelisk"
- created a George Washington Birthplace National Monument Travelogue "Washington Family Cemetery"
Photos in George Washington Birthplace National MonumentSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 225 reviews, 1208 photos, 24 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 184 reviews, 823 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues