Alexandria Shopping Tips by Ewingjr98 Top 5 Page for this destination
Alexandria Shopping: 15 reviews and 33 photos
This is a funky store that is half garden shop and half funky home decoration store. We visited for the garden shop, which has an OK selection of plants, but nothing like the big stores. They also have a few tools and outdoor decorations. One of the cool things outside is the cat named Max that wanders the ground among the plants and customers.
The building on the grounds appears to be an older house, but now each room is part of the store including the kitchen and bathroom. The decor in the rooms is all for sale, and all really unique and unusual. Most of the decorations are things I could never picture in my own house, but maybe in that crazy divorced aunt's house. Yes, the same aunt with 40 cats.
Address: 1503 Mount Vernon Ave Alexandria, VA 22301
Phone: (703) 837-0500
Hoffman Center 22
From my apartment in Old Town there are three convenient movie theaters. The AMC Hoffman Center 22, the Alexandria Old Town Theater, and the Regal Potomac Yard 16. The Regal Kingstowne Stadium 16 is also officially in Alexandria, but not close to much except the Springfield Mall.
The largest and only one I've visited so far is the AMC Hoffman Center 22. This is a massive three story theater, built in 2001, with 22 screen showing all of Hollywood's latest and largest movies. They have automated ticket vending machines, and other high-tch automated featured that should help lower ticket prices... or not. Tickets are a ridiculous $10.50 each, but matinees are $8.50, and morning shows on weekends are just $6. This theater also has IMAX, installed in 2008. Just 1/4 mile from Eisenhower Metro Station on the Yellow Line.
The Alexandria Old Town Theater is a tiny two-screen theater right on King Street in Old Town. From the outside the place looks kind of run down, maybe a bit like an adult film venue. The Old Town Theater was constructed in 1914 and has had vaudeville, dances, movies, and even puppet shows. In the last 30 years the theater has been closed and reopened for various reasons at least dour times. Tickets are an expensive $9, with a one drink minimum purchase... and that drink can be beer or wine! 1/2 mile from the King Street Metro.
The Regal Potomac Yard 16 is located just south of Crystal City behind Target. They too, charge the outrageous fee of $10.50 to watch a movie, even worse, this one is not even metro accessible.
My Organic Market is a small chain of organic grocery stores with just five locations in the DC Metro area: Alexandria, VA; Rockville, MD; College Park, MD; Columbia East, MD; and Frederick, MD. I have visited the Rockville and Alexandria locations. Both have a similar variety of organic food at pretty steep prices.
I was surprised to find some very unique things such as venison ($25 a pound), naturally aged cheese, a variety of organic beer and root beer, some international foods, a variety of nut butters (peanut, almond, soy, walnut, sunflower seed), and even duck hot dogs!
One big difference between the MOM's in Rockville and the store in Alexandria, is that the Rockville location was full of hippies. In Alexandria, it feels more like a local neighborhood grocery store.
Address: 3831 Mt. Vernon Ave. Alexandria, VA 22305
Theme: Food and Drink
National Harbor is the massive, brand new waterfront shopping and entertainment district along the Potomac just outside of the DC Beltway. The 300 acre complex opened in 2008 after some two billion dollars of investment and a decade of planning. The facility resembles a tiny six or eight block main street area of a city with its hotels, restaurants, retail stores, condominiums, marina, convention center, and commercial offices. The Gaylord Hotel and Resort dominates the site, and is now the largest non-casino hotel and convention center on the east coast.
Why is all this stuff built here, rather than in one of the blighted area of DC? Who knows! Who cares? Probably cheap land, good access from the beltway, and less government bureaucracy interference.
In the near future the National Children’s Museum will also have a home at National Harbor, alongside the statue called "The Awakening" that used to stand at Hains Point in DC.
Directions: Just off the Beltway and I-295 at the end of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. Also accessible via water taxi from Old Town Alexandria.
Olde Towne Gourmet Market offers a mish-mash of foreign foods and drinks, mostly from the Middle East and Turkey. We happened to wander in to this larger-than-expected store one afternoon while strolling Old Town. The front of the store has sandwiches, coffees, and desserts, while the back of the store is a small grocery store with various breads, canned goods, and drinks, many with labels written in Arabic or Turkish. Their specialty is Ethiopian coffee, and they offer about 10 different varieties.
We stopped in and picked up some corned beef and some milk, and the lady behind the counter was friendly if distracted by her phone conversation. Since she was checking us out one handed, she had me hold the bag while she put our purchases in it. Odd... but I can deal with it.
Address: 904 King Street, Alexandria, VA
Theme: Food and Drink
Alexandria holds its weekly farmers market in Old Town at the square in front of City Hall. While many towns have used farmers markets as an afternoon event to increase business for their downtown areas, Alexandria retains their traditional early morning start, running Saturdays from 5am until just 10:30am all year. During the farmers market, parking is free in the garage under the market plaza.
Alexandria's farmers market has been in operation at this site since 1753, making it one of the oldest continually operated markets in America. This area is said to have once been a slave market, and George Washington also sold his good here from the Mount Vernon farms.
Alexandria also has three other farmer's markets, meaning you can get your fresh produce in town each Saturday, Sunday, and Wednesday, in season.
Del Ray Farmers' Market
Corner of East Oxford & Mount Vernon Avenues
Saturdays, 8 a.m. - Noon, through the first Saturday in December
Upper King Street Fresh Farmers' Market
King Street Gardens Park, 1806 King Street
Every Wednesday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., through October 29
West End Farmers' Market
Ben Brenman Park, 4800 Brenman Park Drive
Sundays, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. through October
Address: 301 King Street
Directions: City Hall, three blocks from the Potomac
Theme: Local Craft
More Reviews (162)
- See All Columbia Firehouse - Old Town
- See All Belvior Mansion & Gravesite, Fort...
- See All Jackson 20 Restaurant - King Street, Old...
- See All Parker Gray Neighborhood - north Old...
- See All Alexandria's Birthday Celebration -...
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Alexandria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alexandria, once part of Washington, now almost DC"
- "Historical Alexandria"
- "b1bob passes frequently through Alexandria, VA"
- "Hello, Welcome to Old Town Alexandria"
- "A visit to Alexandria Old Town"
- "Alexandria: Washington's Best Suburb"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alexandria
- Hotels in Alexandria
- Transportation in Alexandria
- Nightlife in Alexandria
- Restaurants in Alexandria
- Shopping in Alexandria
- Warnings and Dangers in Alexandria
- See All...
Explore the World
- Payatas Hotels
- Upwell Hotels
- Central Region Hotels
- Gumeracha Hotels
Badges & Stats in Alexandria
- 168 Reviews
- 735 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Alexandria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alexandria
- Posted in Travel Tokyo Forum "Re: Tokyo travel"
- Wrote a Review Columbia Firehouse - Old Town in Alexandria Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Columbia Firehouse - Old Town"
- created a Alexandria Travelogue "Old Town's parks, plaques and historic sites"
- Commented on one of Yaqui's Alexandria travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Alexandria
Photos in AlexandriaSee All Photos (735)
Videos in AlexandriaSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 225 reviews, 1208 photos, 24 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 184 reviews, 823 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest Alexandria hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Telegraph Road
- 215 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Embassy Suites Alexandria Old Town
- 627 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Lorien Hotel & Spa - a Kimpton Hotel
- 742 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Courtyard By Marriott Alexandria
- 178 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Wyndham Old Town Alexandria
- 124 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Sheraton Suites Alexandria
- 302 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Hotel Monaco Alexandria
- 1019 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Westin Alexandria
- 427 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Hilton Alexandria Mark Center
- 540 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Hawthorn Suites Alexandria DC Area
- 420 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2013
- Washington Suites Alexandria
- 272 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Travelodge Alexandria
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013
- Hampton Inn Alexandria Old Town
- 299 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir
- 163 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Hampton Inn Alexandria Old Town King Street Metro
- 244 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013