"Shiloh Battlefield" Shiloh National Military Park by Ewingjr98
Shiloh National Military Park Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 322 photos
The Battle of Shiloh, also called the Battle of Pittsburg Landing, the first major battle in the Western Theater of the American Civil War, took place on April 6 and April 7, 1862. The Confederate forces were under the command of Generals Albert Sidney Johnston and P.G.T. Beauregard while the Union Army was led by Major General Ulysses S. Grant. On the first day of the battle only part of Grants army was at Pittsburg Landing, and the Confederates attacked, hoping to defeat his forces before the rest of the army linked up with the main force. The Union army held at at a sunken road, and area to become known as "the Hornets' Nest," throughout the day, buying time for Buell's forces to arrive from Nashville. Confederate General Johnston was killed in the first day of fighting, and his second in command, Beauregard, decided to hold off the final attack until the next day at dawn. Overnight Union General Buell arrived to reinforce Grant, and when Beauregard attacked the next morning, Union numbers were stronger than expected. Grant counterattacked and defeated the now outnumbered Confederates. This was the bloodiest battle in the US up until its time, and it featured the largest artillery barrage ever to occur on the North American continent.
Shiloh National Military Park is located about 10 miles from Savannah and is the area's top attraction. The park preserves nearly 4,000 acres of the site of the first major battle in the Western Theater of the Civil War. On the park grounds is Shiloh National Cemetery with the graves of 3,584 deceased Union soldiers and 2 dead Confederates. The Shiloh Indian Mounds is also located in the park near the Tennessee River at Pittsburg Landing. The battle was named after Shiloh Church, which was destroyed during the war, but a replica stands in its place. The battlefield has a nice visitors center despite the movie from the 1950s, and the driving tour is excellent. Admission to the park is $5 per car or family.
Pittsburg Landing is a small town at the edge of the Shiloh Battlefield. This was the main Union Army base during the... more travel advice
Shiloh Meeting House stood on the Confederate side of the battlefield. It was a Methodist church in a simple log cabin,... more travel advice
Written Jun 3, 2009
Hawks at Shiloh Battlefield
Written Jun 3, 2009
Miscellaneous Shiloh Photos
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Shiloh National Military Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "shiloh national military park"
- "Where a Misguided Nation Awoke to its Error"
- "SHILOH - PEACE WHERE ONCE THERE WAS ANYTHING BUT"
- "Another somber moment"
- "Shiloh Battlefield"
- "Revisiting past"
- "Basaic Shiloh National Military Park Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shiloh National Military Park
- 7 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (105)
Have you been to Shiloh National Military Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shiloh National Military Park
- Posted in Travel Seoul Forum "Re: About Area in Yongsan-gu ,..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Miscellaneous Shiloh Photos"
- created a Shiloh National Military Park Travelogue "Miscellaneous Shiloh Photos"
- Wrote a Review Pittsburg Landing in Shiloh National Military Park Things to Do
- Commented on one of mrclay2000's Shiloh National Military Park travel pages
Photos in Shiloh National Military ParkSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Japan Intro, 408 reviews, 1927 photos, 15 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 328 reviews, 1788 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 264 reviews, 1285 photos, 30 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 472 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues