"Welcome back, Sid." Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh by Ewingjr98

Pittsburgh Travel Guide: 762 reviews and 1,858 photos

Today Pittsburgh is a clean, modernizing city with unique multi-cultural neighborhoods, major universities, and a growing high-tech industry to replace the long-gone steel industry. Many who haven't visited or heard much about Pittsburgh since the 1970s still picture this great city as polluted and dirty, but the transformation over the last 30 years has left us with a Pittsburgh we are proud to call home.

Pittsburgh has many firsts from the world's first radio station (KDKA) to the world's first Big Mac.

I grew up about 90 miles north of Pittsburgh, but I'll always tell people I'm from Pittsburgh. Despite a struggling economy for many years with the decline of the steel industry, Pittsburgh and its people maintained a quiet pride and dignity. The "City of Champions" was carried along by its fantastic success in major American sports on the backs of the the Pittsburgh Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins.

As a kid we made dozens of trips into the city, but usually just for a few hours for a ball game, hockey game, parade, or some Christmas shopping at the area malls. In 2006 I made three overnight trips to the city where we stayed downtown, allowing me to really experience and appreciate this fine city.

If you are in Pittsburgh for a short visit, you should find lots to do! The Duquesne and Monongahela Inclines offer great views of the city from Mount Washington. You really should grab a cheese steak sandwich at Primanti's in the Strip District. Oh, and the Pittsburgh Penguins are home for two games this week in the NHL playoffs; you can go watch them at the outdoor screen with 10,000 crazy Pittsburgh fans!

What else? Catch a Pirates game at one of America's best ball parks, take a stroll around Point State Park at the confluence of the three rivers, visit the historic Cathedral of Learning at the University of Pittsburgh then take a walk in Schenley Park, wander through the markets in the Strip District. The Gateway Clipper boats on the river offer good views of the city, too.

• Pros:Sports, great neighborhoods, beautiful city
  • Cons:Too close to Cleveland!
  • Last visit to Pittsburgh: Aug 2011
  • Intro Updated May 15, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2010 at 5:38 AM

I'm glad to see from your intro page and Things to Do tips that Pittsburgh is getting revitalized after the decline of the steel industry. (I'll be back some other time to read more tips.)

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Very nice pics from the Stanley Cup parade, lol @ Max "superstar" Talbot, those commercials are too funny!!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2009 at 10:16 PM

A wealth of info here - just great pages - you did justice to the burgh! I'm from Pittsburgh - grew up in Jeannette/Greensburg. Watched Steelers steal it at Hard Rock, Rome - game started here at midnight!

• iblatt's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2009 at 2:23 PM

I lived in Pittsburgh for 2 years in the early 1990s and loved it. Great to read about the city in your pages!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Another wonderful page JR! Pittsburgh has so much more than I had imagine. Now I know what to look for thanks to this wonderful page!

• Nov 22, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Famous city in US! My friends George from Greece live near there and he told me in the phone a lot about Pittsburgh. Nice page !

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2008 at 3:58 PM

A city is not complete without an alligator made out of bread.

• Rusket's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2006 at 2:15 AM

Just past through the northern part by train during the night. United States of America Transportation Tips by Rusket Made a list of states to count how many I have been to (through) ;-)

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2006 at 7:39 PM

Good job on a town not too many foreign visitors beat down the doors to see. Primanti Bros. seems like my kind of place!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2006 at 4:45 PM

Your opening photo of my hometown is fantastic--Pittsburgh's skyline is so beautiful at night!

Ewingjr98

“"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~ Ernest Hemingway”

Badges & Stats in Pittsburgh

Have you been to Pittsburgh?

Latest Activity in Pittsburgh