"Welcome back, Sid." Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh by Ewingjr98
Pittsburgh Travel Guide: 774 reviews and 1,912 photos
Today Pittsburgh is a clean, modernizing city with unique multi-cultural neighborhoods, major universities, and a growing high-tech industry to replace the long-gone steel industry. Many who haven't visited or heard much about Pittsburgh since the 1970s still picture this great city as polluted and dirty, but the transformation over the last 30 years has left us with a Pittsburgh we are proud to call home.
Pittsburgh has many firsts from the world's first radio station (KDKA) to the world's first Big Mac.
I grew up about 90 miles north of Pittsburgh, but I'll always tell people I'm from Pittsburgh. Despite a struggling economy for many years with the decline of the steel industry, Pittsburgh and its people maintained a quiet pride and dignity. The "City of Champions" was carried along by its fantastic success in major American sports on the backs of the the Pittsburgh Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins.
As a kid we made dozens of trips into the city, but usually just for a few hours for a ball game, hockey game, parade, or some Christmas shopping at the area malls. In 2006 I made three overnight trips to the city where we stayed downtown, allowing me to really experience and appreciate this fine city.
If you are in Pittsburgh for a short visit, you should find lots to do! The Duquesne and Monongahela Inclines offer great views of the city from Mount Washington. You really should grab a cheese steak sandwich at Primanti's in the Strip District. Oh, and the Pittsburgh Penguins are home for two games this week in the NHL playoffs; you can go watch them at the outdoor screen with 10,000 crazy Pittsburgh fans!
What else? Catch a Pirates game at one of America's best ball parks, take a stroll around Point State Park at the confluence of the three rivers, visit the historic Cathedral of Learning at the University of Pittsburgh then take a walk in Schenley Park, wander through the markets in the Strip District. The Gateway Clipper boats on the river offer good views of the city, too.
- Pros:Sports, great neighborhoods, beautiful city
- Cons:Too close to Cleveland!
Since the inception of the Pirates in 1887, they have won five World Series championships. They also played in the very... more travel advice
Three Rivers Stadiumk was home to both the Pirates and Steelers from its completion in 1970 until its demolition in... more travel advice
- See All The Original Oyster House - Market Sq,...
- See All Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown
- See All Heinz Hall
- See All Site of Fort Lafayette
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Pittsburgh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PITTSBURGH--Cultural, Sports Crazy, Riverside City"
- "Welcome back, Sid."
- "Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania"
- "Beautiful and Historical Pittsburgh"
- "My "O"riginal home town..."
- "Welcome to the 'Burgh!"
- "Pittsburgh - the largest city of the Appalachia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pittsburgh
- Hotels in Pittsburgh
- Transportation in Pittsburgh
- Nightlife in Pittsburgh
- Restaurants in Pittsburgh
- Shopping in Pittsburgh
- Warnings and Dangers in Pittsburgh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pittsburgh
- 90 Reviews
- 470 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Pittsburgh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pittsburgh
- updated a Pittsburgh Travel Page "Welcome back, Sid."
- Posted in Travel Seoul Forum "Re: About Area in Yongsan-gu ,..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Carolina at Pittsburgh, December 23rd, 2010"
- Wrote a Review The Pittsburgh Pirates in Pittsburgh Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Video to Pittsburgh
- Commented on one of Travmad's Pittsburgh travel pages
Photos in PittsburghSee All Photos (470)
Videos in PittsburghSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Japan Intro, 408 reviews, 1927 photos, 15 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 328 reviews, 1788 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 264 reviews, 1285 photos, 30 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 472 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues