"Fort Necessity -- A NATIONAL Battlefield!" Fort Necessity State Park by Ewingjr98
Fort Necessity State Park Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 121 photos
Fort Necessity National Battlefield marks the site where George Washington faced his first and only total defeat and surrender as a military commander. The park also preserves a portion of the original Braddock Road that was carved through the forest to allow the British army to reach Fort Duquesne in modern Pittsburgh. On the grounds of the battlefield is also the historic Mount Washington Tavern, built on land once owned by Washington. Just a mile away is the site of General Braddock's tomb, near the exact spot where he was killed. A few miles further west is Jumonville Glen, where then-Colonel George Washington attacked a group of French soldiers, thereby starting not only North America's French and Indian War, but also the global Seven Years' War.
The original National Road, begun in 1811, ran from Cumberland, Maryland through Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Illinois to... more travel advice
In 1755 British General Edward Braddock led an army from Virginia to confront the French at Fort Duquesne. During his... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Fort Necessity State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fort Necessity -- A NATIONAL Battlefield!"
- "Washington's Lost Battle"
- "FORT OF NECESSITY"
- "Basaic Fort Necessity Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Necessity State Park
- Shopping in Fort Necessity State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort Necessity State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Necessity State Park
- 9 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Fort Necessity State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Necessity State Park
Photos in Fort Necessity State ParkSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Japan Intro, 408 reviews, 1927 photos, 15 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 328 reviews, 1788 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 264 reviews, 1285 photos, 30 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 472 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues