"Dayton - Home of the Brothers Wright" Top 5 Page for this destination Dayton by Ewingjr98
Dayton Travel Guide: 274 reviews and 800 photos
Dayton is a city of about 165,000 people in southwestern Ohio, not too far from Cincinnati. Much of Dayton's history and commerce has centered on the aviation industry which got it start here in the Wright Brothers hometown in 1904 and continued with the development of massive Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. The city was founded in 1796, incorporated in 1810, and named after signer of the US Constitution Jonathan Dayton (though he never set foot in the city, Dayton received his name because he once owned some 250,000 acres here).
National Cash Register, headquartered in Dayton since the 1880s, announced in 2009 it was moving out of the state. Events like this cause Forbes to name Dayton, along with Cleveland, Detroit, and Buffalo on a list of America's fastest dying cities. The largest local employers today are Wright-Patterson Air Force Base (some 25,000 employees), Premier Health Partners (14,000), Kettering Health Network (8,000), and Wright State University (3,000).
The area's major attractions include the National Museum of the United States Air Force, Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park, and the SunWatch Indian Village/Archaeological Park. There are also several historic neighborhoods, most notably the Oregon District.
Columbus was founded in 1812 for the purpose of becoming the capital of the sate, and it became Ohio's capital city just... more travel advice
Xenia is a town of about 25,000 people, located 15 miles southeast of Dayton. The Xenia's name comes from a Greek word... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Dayton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dayton Ohio"
- "Dayton - Home of the Brothers Wright"
- "Dayton, Ohio"
- "National Museum of the United States Air Force"
- "Dayton: the city of my college years - GO UD!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dayton
- Hotels in Dayton
- Transportation in Dayton
- Nightlife in Dayton
- Restaurants in Dayton
- Shopping in Dayton
- Warnings and Dangers in Dayton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dayton
- 53 Reviews
- 256 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Dayton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dayton
Photos in DaytonSee All Photos (256)
Videos in DaytonSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 300 reviews, 1652 photos, 36 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 314 reviews, 1501 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 264 reviews, 1293 photos, 30 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues