"The Untold Delights of Duluth" Duluth by Ewingjr98
Duluth Travel Guide: 306 reviews and 463 photos
"Duluth! The word fell upon my ear with peculiar and indescribable charm, like the gentle murmur of a low fountain stealing forth in the midst of roses, or the soft, sweet accents of an angel’s whisper in the bright, joyous dream of sleeping innocence. Duluth must be a place of untold delights, a terrestrial paradise, fanned by the balmy zephyrs of an eternal spring, clothed in the gorgeous sheen of ever-blooming flowers, and vocal with the silvery melody of nature’s choicest songsters. … Duluth is destined to become the commercial metropolis of the universe."
~ Congressman J. Proctor Knott, 1871
Duluth is a place of untold delights if smoky slots parlors full of old people, strip clubs with live midget wrestling, ratty old hotels, abandoned down towns, and stores called Electric Fetus are your idea of delights... These were my first images of Duluth, and I almost wanted to cry after wasting $80 or so to stay at one of the worst hotels I have ever entered: the Best Western downtown. Luckily, with a little beer to encourage us to do some exploring, we found the canal park area, which has numerous historic buildings restored and full of touristy (but clean and inviting) hotels and restaurants. If you must come to Duluth, stay in Canal Park.
If you are from Duluth, I apologize, but this is one of the wost downtown areas I have ever seen in a city of this size... second only to Lynchburg, Virginia.
Now the good... Duluth does have some of the best air quality in the nation! They also have many historic buildings, some nice brick streets, and an impressive skywalk system to keep people out of the frigid winter air.
The Port of Duluth-Superior is one of the largest inland seaports in the world. This natural harbor covers parts of both... more travel advice
Canal Park is where all of the investment and tourism in Duluth goes. Here you have numerous hotels, restaurants, bars... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Duluth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Life on the Middle Coast"
- "Duluth, Minnesota"
- "Minnesota's Port City"
- "Duluth, Minnesota"
- "Grandma's Marathon in Duluth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Duluth
- Hotels in Duluth
- Transportation in Duluth
- Nightlife in Duluth
- Restaurants in Duluth
- Shopping in Duluth
- Warnings and Dangers in Duluth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Duluth
- 6 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Duluth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Duluth
Photos in DuluthSee All Photos (38)
Videos in DuluthSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 256 reviews, 1355 photos, 24 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 220 reviews, 1019 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues