"Port Tobacco - Amazing historic village!" Port Tobacco by Ewingjr98
Port Tobacco Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 54 photos
Port Tobacco was once the second largest town in all of Maryland. It had 60-70 homes, three hotels, and numerous other businesses such as a blacksmith shop.
Later, the river filled with silt and became impassable, then the railroad was routed around this historic village. The county seat moved to La Plata and the town began to die.
Today just a few relics remain from this once-bustling town such as the Chimney House and the Catslip House. The courthouse was rebuilt and is now a museum, and archeological digs continue around town to discover the remainder some of the lost history.
The Maryland Historic Trust has a good summary of the town's history and significance.
Lafayette Baker, the spymaster who killed John Wilkes Booth following the assassination of President Lincoln, said this about Port Tobacco in his memoirs: “If any place in the world is utterly given over to depravity, it is Port Tobacco. Life there reminds me, in connection with the slimy river and the adjacent swamps, of the great reptile period of the world, when iguanodons and pterodactyls, and plesiosauri ate each other.”
This area and its individual sites can be difficult to find, so I created a Google Map showing the exact location of each of the sites I discussed in my tips. Click here to view the map and get directions to any of the sites!
The Governor Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge is a 1.7-mile bridge that enables US Route 301 to cross the Potomac between... more travel advice
John Wilkes Booth was born in Bel Air Maryland, outside of Baltimore, in 1838 to parents that had immigrated to the US... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Port Tobacco Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Port Tobacco
- 13 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Port Tobacco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Tobacco
- Posted in Travel Seoul Forum "Re: 1st time & solo trip to Seoul"
- Commented on one of Ewingjr98's Port Tobacco travel pages
- updated a Port Tobacco Travel Page "Port Tobacco - Amazing historic village!"
- Wrote a Review Nice Bridge (Really) in Port Tobacco Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Nice Bridge (Really)"
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 273 reviews, 1472 photos, 29 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 266 reviews, 1266 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues