"Tarpon Springs - A Greek town not on the Med" Top 5 Page for this destination Tarpon Springs by Ewingjr98
Tarpon Springs Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 133 photos
From around 1900 until the end of WWII the Tarpons Springs sponge industry was huge. It is said this was, for several decades, the largest industry in Florida. Around 1946 a blight nearly eliminated the sponges, but today the industry is again thriving, with some 1,000 people employed in harvesting and selling sponges, and $15 million in revenue yearly.
Many of the original sponge divers were Greeks, and the area known as the Sponge Docks still boasts a strong Greek influence. Here you will find a number of Greek restaurants and bars. There are also numerous shops, most selling sponges or diving equipment.
Downtown Tarpon Springs is nearby, but distinctly different than the Sponge Docks area. The downtown area has a traditional Main Street feel, with lots of restaurants and antique shops. The old railroad route is now a busy walking and biking trail, with the railroad station the visitors center. There is a large Greek Orthodox church in town serving the area's Greek population.
Along the sponge docks you will find a statue of a diver and a plaque for the sponge divers. The statue is dedicated to those Tarpon Springs residents who died harvesting sponges, with a plaque "In memory of the spongers of Tarpon Springs." Below the statue are plaques containing the names of those who died in the sponge industry.
The Sponge Exchange is a small, open air shopping complex alongside the Sponge Docks in Tarpon Springs. The area has 31... more travel advice
In 1985, when I was about 10 years old, we did a nine-day family vacation from our home in Pennsylvania to Florida. We... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Tarpon Springs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Florida's Greek Fishing Village and Sponge Docks"
- "Tarpon Springs - A Greek town not on the Med"
- "tarpon springs florida"
- "A little bit of Greece in Florida"
- "ZenGator's Tarpon Springs Briefing"
- "Tarpon Springs"
- "Sponge Divers"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tarpon Springs
- Hotels in Tarpon Springs
- Transportation in Tarpon Springs
- Nightlife in Tarpon Springs
- Restaurants in Tarpon Springs
- Shopping in Tarpon Springs
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tarpon Springs
- 8 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Tarpon Springs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarpon Springs
- Posted in Travel Tokyo Forum "Re: Superstores & Discount stores..."
- Commented on one of atufft's Tarpon Springs travel pages
- updated a Tarpon Springs Travel Page "Tarpon Springs - A Greek town not on the Med"
- Uploaded a Photo to "My 1985 visit to the area's beaches"
- Wrote a Review Tarpon Springs Sponge Exchange in Tarpon Springs Things to Do
Photos in Tarpon SpringsSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Japan Intro, 366 reviews, 1751 photos, 15 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 324 reviews, 1771 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 264 reviews, 1291 photos, 30 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 473 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues