"Pine covered sand flats and a one-track railroad" Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa by Ewingjr98
Tampa Travel Guide: 1,042 reviews and 2,362 photos
When President (then Colonel) Theodore Roosevelt visited Tampa in 1898 during the Spanish American War, he described Tampa as merely "pine covered sand flats at the end of a one track railroad." This war, and the 30,000 troops that passed though the city, marked the beginning of Tampa's expansion into the city we know today.
I first visited Tampa as a kid, back in 1985. After spending a few days in Orlando, we drove over to the Gulf Coast and enjoyed a day at Busch Gardens.
I finally returned to Tampa in December 2006. I stayed in Indian Rocks Beach and visited Clearwater, Ybor City, and Busch Gardens.
I made another visit to Tampa for New Years 2008 and got to visit Sarasota, Indian Rocks Beach, and several places in Tampa including Ybor City, Channelside, and downtown.
Visiting Tampa? The two primary hotel areas in the city are on Westshore Avenue near the airport (try the InterContinental or the Doubletree) and downtown (I like the Sheraton Riverwalk and the Marriott Waterside). The downtown area offers lots to do including easy access to the St. Pete Times Forum, a cheap trolley to Ybor City, the Tampa History Museum, Channelside Mall, and the University of Tampa.
Hungry for some local food? The two big restaurant and nightlife concentrations in Tampa can be found at Hyde Park/South Howard and in Ybor City. South Howard, or SoHo, has world famous Bern's Steakhouse, along with a variety of other unique local options like Daily Eats, Cheap, the Lime, the Bungalow, Smoke, Ceviche, Ciccio's, the Rack, the Dubliner Irish Pub, MacDinton's Irish Pub, Yard of Ale, the Retreat, and World of Beer. My favorite places in Ybor City include historic Columbia Restaurant, New World Brewery, the Buddha Lounge, Shrimp and Company, Gaspar's Grotto, the Green Iguana, and the James Joyce Irish Pub.
There is a plaque at the Hillsborough County Court House is in commemoration of a speech given by President John F.... more travel advice
World of Beer on South Howard has been one of our favorite spots in Tampa since it opened in 2011 or so. However, one of... more travel advice
- See All Gandy Bridge Causeway Beach
- See All University of South Florida
- See All Tampa Improv - Ybor City
- See All Fishing with Capt Dave Markett
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Tampa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tampa Florida"
- "Yup, this is Tampa."
- "tampa florida"
- "Pine covered sand flats and a one-track railroad"
- "Gasperella Through the Years"
- "Holiday in the Sun"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tampa
- Hotels in Tampa
- Transportation in Tampa
- Nightlife in Tampa
- Restaurants in Tampa
- Shopping in Tampa
- Warnings and Dangers in Tampa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tampa
- 283 Reviews
- 1,244 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to Tampa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tampa
- Posted in Travel Seoul Forum "Re: About Area in Yongsan-gu ,..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pete's Place Bar - South Tampa"
- Wrote a Review John Fitzgerald Kennedy Marker in Tampa Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Tampa
- created a Tampa Travelogue "Lowry Park Zoo - Seminole Heights, Tampa"
- Commented on one of sarahjayn's Tampa travel pages
Photos in TampaSee All Photos (1244)
Videos in TampaSee All Videos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Japan Intro, 387 reviews, 1838 photos, 15 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 328 reviews, 1788 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 264 reviews, 1291 photos, 30 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 472 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues