""Traveling to exotic locations like Dover, DE..."" Top 5 Page for this destination Dover by Ewingjr98
Dover Travel Guide: 151 reviews and 352 photos
Dover is an interesting little town, off the beaten path on the East Coast. Perhaps it is most interesting because it has one of the oldest state capitals in the country, surrounded by a fast growing, modern city with all the conveniences you would expect in a much larger town. Dover is dominated by the US Air Force base to the south and Dover Downs slots and NASCAR racing on the northern edge of town. In 2008 David Letterman had 12 NASCAR drivers on his show for the Top-10 list, and Jimmie Johnson's Number 2 perk of being a NASCAR driver was "Traveling to exotic locations like Martinsville, Virginia, and Dover, Delaware."
Unfortunately, Playboy magazine said it best when they wrote that Dover's lack of nightlife, urban sprawl, and abandoned downtown make it as "as bland an East Coast town you're likely to find."
1. Capital of the First State
2. NASCAR racing at Dover Downs
3. Small town feel, despite its location between the major metropolitan areas of the East Coast
4. All the conveniences of a much larger city (such as Target, Best Buy, Home Depot, etc)
5. Dover Downs slots and harness racing
1. Limited nightlife
2. Delaware's beaches are too close to pass up
3. The big cities of Washington, Baltimore, Annapolis, and Philly are close, so you need to visit them (all within 2 hrs driving time when traffic is light)
4. Dover is rapidly expanding and has outgrown most of the small-town charm it may have once possessed
- Pros:Small Town
- Cons:Small Town
- In a nutshell:Small Town
Smyrna is an ancient city in Izmir in Turkey. In the US there are different cities named Smyrna in nine states. Smyrna,... more travel advice
Wawa is a great chain of convenience stores in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia... it's almost... more travel advice
- Annual St. Paddy's Day Parade
- See All Shuckers Pier 13 - N Dupont Highway
- See All First State Billiards
- See All Fire Alarms
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Dover Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Traveling to exotic locations like Dover, DE...""
- "Dover, DE..... Wife's family lives in Bear, DE"
- "Small Town Life"
- "Welcome to Dover Delware"
- "The First State's Capital (Work in progress)"
- "Dozin' in Dover"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dover
- Hotels in Dover
- Transportation in Dover
- Nightlife in Dover
- Restaurants in Dover
- Shopping in Dover
- Warnings and Dangers in Dover
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dover
- 83 Reviews
- 256 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Dover?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dover
- Posted in Travel Seoul Forum "Re: 1st time & solo trip to Seoul"
- created a Dover Travelogue "Dover from the air - flying into Philly"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dover from the air - flying into Philly"
- Wrote a Review Smyrna in Dover Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Video to Dover
- Commented on one of acemj's Dover travel pages
Photos in DoverSee All Photos (256)
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 273 reviews, 1472 photos, 29 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 266 reviews, 1266 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues