"National Zoo" National Zoological Park by Ewingjr98
National Zoological Park Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 73 photos
The National Zoo is located between Woodley Park and Cleveland Park in Rock Creek Park.
My first visit to the National Zoo after dozens of trips to DC and even four months living in the area. We cut our visit short due to lack of time, so we only saw about a third of the park, but I already have plans to come back in a month! During this shortened visit we started with the cheetahs, one was sitting in her cave eying us while three others paced restlessly. Then we moved on to the Pandas, both your giant variety and the small red pandas that seem more like raccoons. After that we spend a good deal of time in the bird area, until we realized the majestic birds of prey were located in a different part of the zoo. Our second last stop was the under-construction elephant and hippo area, and we ended this visit at the great ape enclosure which featured a month-old baby gorilla, as well as several orangutans.
Officially known as the Smithsonian National Zoological Park, this zoo was founded in 1889.
Entrance is free, and it attracts about two million visitors a year.
The zoo is easy to travel to via the Metro's Red Line, either Woodley Park or Cleveland Park Stations. Parking is available, but is very expensive. Throughout the park there are plenty of restrooms, souvenir shops, and snack stands, and there is a good-sized visitors center at the park entrance on Connecticut Avenue.
One of the best ways to get to the zoo is via the DC Metro system. Both Woodley Park Station and Cleveland Park Station... more travel advice
At the Washington National Zoo, river otters are part of the "American Trail" section of the zoo, which features a... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
National Zoological Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Day at the National Zoo"
- "National Zoo"
- "See Rare Animals At The National Zoo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in National Zoological Park
- Transportation in National Zoological Park
- Restaurants in National Zoological Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in National Zoological Park
- 15 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to National Zoological Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in National Zoological Park
Photos in National Zoological ParkSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Japan Intro, 408 reviews, 1927 photos, 15 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 328 reviews, 1788 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 264 reviews, 1285 photos, 30 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 472 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues