"Historic and Trendy Georgetown" Top 5 Page for this destination Georgetown by Ewingjr98
Georgetown Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 255 photos
Georgetown was established in 1751, and while part of Washington DC's Northwest Quadrant, the town is older than the city in which it now lies. Georgetown's location was chosen since it is the farthest up the Potomac ships could navigate, and it became a thriving port for tobacco. Later, the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal was constructed along the edge of the Potomac in Georgetown, much of which is preserved today. The neighborhood boasts the oldest building in Washington, DC--the Old Stone House (1765). Dumbarton Oaks (1800) is a grand home and gardens in Georgetown where the UN charter was outlined in 1944.
Georgetown was the home of Francis Scott Key (hence the Key Bridge) as well as John Kennedy before he became President. Famous graduates of Georgetown include President Bill Clinton; basketball players Patrick Ewing and Allen Iverson, and Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.
Georgetown University, the oldest Catholic university in the country, is in this neighborhood, as are the French, Mongolian, Swedish, Thai, Venezuelan, and Ukrainian embassies. Georgetown today is a favorite shopping and dining center in the city.
Unfortunately, Georgetown is really the only destination neighborhood without a convenient Metro stop, but it's not too far from Foggy Bottom Metro.
Old Glory Bar-B-Que (or just barbecue for those of you who can figure out the syllabic breaks in the word all by... more travel advice
Dumbarton Oaks, Montrose Park and Oak Hill Cemetery are side by side parks that separate the upper reaches of Georgetown... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Georgetown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Charming, picturesque and upclass neighbourhood"
- "Historic and Trendy Georgetown"
- "Home of Universities, Presidents, Senators"
- "My home January 2004-- July 2006"
- "Historic Georgetown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Georgetown
- Hotels in Georgetown
- Transportation in Georgetown
- Nightlife in Georgetown
- Restaurants in Georgetown
- Shopping in Georgetown
- Warnings and Dangers in Georgetown
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Georgetown
- 25 Reviews
- 107 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Georgetown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Georgetown
Photos in GeorgetownSee All Photos (107)
Top 10 Pages
- Japan Intro, 377 reviews, 1786 photos, 15 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 328 reviews, 1788 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 264 reviews, 1291 photos, 30 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 472 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues