"Santa Cruz - Beaches, Surfing and Pot" Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Cruz by Ewingjr98
Santa Cruz Travel Guide: 286 reviews and 637 photos
I lived in Monterey, so Santa Cruz was only about 25 miles away--straight across the Monterey Bay. Driving was more like 45 miles and it took about an hour along Highway 1. I had driven through town several times, and finally decided to spend a few hours here in November 2006. On our way to San Francisco, we had breakfast at the Santa Cruz Diner, then drove to West Cliffs Drive for a scenic jaunt along the water...this place was full of late morning joggers along the recreation trail! We saw the old lighthouse, then we stopped at Natural Bridges State Beach, which used to have three arches over the water, now just one.
I have made a few return trips to Santa Cruz, visiting downtown, the beaches, and some of the redwood forests around town.
Santa Cruz is Spanish for "Holy Cross" and it has a population of about 56,000 with about 10,000 attending school at UC Santa Cruz. Attractions in town include the very popular boardwalk, beaches and surfing, a thriving downtown, and parks such as Natural Bridges.
The area was "discovered" by Don Gaspar de Portola a Spanish Explorer, in 1769. Santa Cruz Mission was founded in 1791, and a Spanish pueblo called Branciforte was established here, but later disbanded and merged with the mission.
The city of Santa Cruz has recently made it illegal for the police to arrest adults for smoking, growing, or selling pot on private property unless the person is committing another crime. Funny thing is, it is still illegal, but the CITY police are not allowed to enforce the law. State and feds can still make arrests, but city police can not cooperate. What a mess...and a great example for your kids.
Pack up your bongs, sandals, & tie-died shirts, we're moving to Santa Cruz.
Sea Lions are a type of seal, recognized by their external ears, ability to walk on land, and their barking. The sea... more travel advice
Santa Cruz has a Bad Ass Coffee location downtown on Pacific Street. This is one of just 45 locations in this small but... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Santa Cruz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Best Beach Action in Northern California"
- "Santa Cruz - Beaches, Surfing and Pot"
- "Santa Cruz - An Eccentri - City"
- "Santa Cruz Area"
- "Santa Cruz"
- "Santa Cruz, California"
- "Ultimate Day Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santa Cruz
- Hotels in Santa Cruz
- Transportation in Santa Cruz
- Nightlife in Santa Cruz
- Restaurants in Santa Cruz
- Shopping in Santa Cruz
- Warnings and Dangers in Santa Cruz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santa Cruz
- 20 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Santa Cruz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santa Cruz
- Posted in Travel Seoul Forum "Re: 1st time & solo trip to Seoul"
- updated a Santa Cruz Travel Page "Santa Cruz - Beaches, Surfing and Pot"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bad Ass Coffee"
- Commented on one of atufft's Santa Cruz travel pages
- Wrote a Review See the sea lions at the wharf in Santa Cruz Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 273 reviews, 1472 photos, 29 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 266 reviews, 1266 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues