"St John the Baptist's Town" Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Bautista by Ewingjr98
San Juan Bautista Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 158 photos
San Juan Bautista is a really great little town with one of California's original Spanish Missions, a state historic park, and a compact and busy little downtown. I stopped by one afternoon and spent maybe an hour at the mission and surrounding area, then about 45 minutes in town before moving on, but I will certainly be back next time family and friends are in town! This is one of the most charming little towns I have found around Monterey!
Mission San Juan Bautista plays an important role in the 1958 Alfred Hitchcock movie Vertigo. Madeleine tells Scottie about a place she once knew. She describes it as such, "it was the tower again, and the bell and the old Spanish village. It was a village square and a green with trees...and an old whitewashed Spanish church with a cloister. Across the green, there was a big, gray wooden house...with a porch and a balcony above a small garden...and next to it a livery stable with old carriages lined up inside. At the end of the green, there was a whitewashed stone house...with a lovely pepper tree at the corner. And an old wooden hotel from the old California days? And a saloon? Dark, low ceilings, with hanging oil lamps?"
Scottie responds "A hundred miles south of San Francisco, there's an old Spanish mission...San Juan Bautista it's called and it's been preserved...
exactly as it was 100 years ago as a museum."
The old stage coach route between San Juan Bautista and Salinas is called Salinas Grade Road at the Jan Juan Bautista... more travel advice
This fantastic restaurant in an old theater opened in 1977 and has been owned by the same family ever since. We arrived... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
San Juan Bautista Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St John the Baptist's Town"
- "San Juan Bautista Mission is worth the stop"
- "San Juan Bautista"
- "San Juan Bautista"
- "A day trip..."
- "Bregman's San Juan Bautista Page"
- "1965 visit to Mission of San Juan Bautista."
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Juan Bautista
- Transportation in San Juan Bautista
- Restaurants in San Juan Bautista
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Juan Bautista
- 10 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to San Juan Bautista?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Juan Bautista
- Posted in Travel Tamaru Forum "Re: tamaru ski package"
- Wrote a Review Salinas/San Juan Grade Road in San Juan Bautista Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Salinas/San Juan Grade Road"
- updated a San Juan Bautista Travelogue "A few more from my last trip to SJB"
- Commented on one of atufft's San Juan Bautista travel pages
Photos in San Juan BautistaSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 258 reviews, 1378 photos, 26 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 220 reviews, 1019 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues