"Hike in Pinnacles and visit nearby Soledad!" Pinnacles National Monument by Ewingjr98
Pinnacles National Monument Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 115 photos
Located about an hour from Monterey is beautiful Pinnacles National Monument. The relatively small park consists of 26,000 acres of land filled with wilderness, trails, canyons, towering rocky peaks, and caves. Why is this area so different from the surrounding hills? The area we know as Pinnacles was the site of an ancient volcano along the San Andreas Fault. Over millions of years, the weather and tectonic activity have shaped the volcanic remains into steep cliffs and rocky peaks we enjoy today.
Pinnacles was established as a national monument in 1908, and many of the trails were developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s. The park receives 150,000 visitors each year.
Pinnacles National Monument is located 10 miles east of Soledad and about 35 miles from Salinas. Entry costs $5 per vehicle or $3 for walk-ins. Free entry with an annual National Parks Pass, The America the Beautiful Annual Pass, and Golden Eagle Pass.
During my visit, I arrived about noon at the west entrance. After checking in at the Ranger Station, I began my hike up the Juniper Canyon Trail (1.2 mi) to the Tunnel Trail (.6 mi). At the end of Tunnel, I turned right onto the Steep and Narrow section of the High Peaks Trail (.7 mi), where I stopped for lunch around 1pm.
I then continued down the east side of the mountain on High Peaks (1.5 mi). I followed the Rim Trail to the Reservoir (.4 mi), went through the cave along the Bear Gulch Cave Trail (.7 mi), then went to the east visitor center (.5 mi). Here I stopped to change my socks and get some water at about 2pm.
Next I turned up the Condor Gulch Trail to the High Peaks (1.7 mi). At this point, I was beat from already hiking this 1,200 foot rise in elevation once, so this time it took me almost an hour to go less than two miles. I stopped several times along the way to cool down as I didn't want to get too sweaty this late in the afternoon. I reached the top around 3pm.
At the top I turned onto the High Peaks Trail to the Tunnel Trail (.6 mi), then followed Tunnel back to Juniper Canyon (.6 mi). From here it was back to the parking area along Juniper Canyon (1.2 mi), where I arrived at 4pm.
My total journey was about 9.7 miles and took four hours. It was a great afternoon of hiking, with nice cool weather. All day I only saw four other people including a park ranger out working on the trails.
My Second Visit
I finally returned to Pinnacles in September 2007, this time with a few friends. We started at the west parking area, and climbed straight up to the High Peaks along the Juniper Canyon, Tunnel, and Steep and Narrow Trails (4.5 miles round trip). We had lunch on top of the peaks, on this beautiful fall day with numerous other hikers present. After returning to the parking area, we still had some free time, so we took a little side trip to the Balconies Caves and returned via the Balconies Cliffs Trail (2 mile round trip).
The Soledad Mission was the 13th of the 21 Spanish Missions in California and was established in 1791. Throughout its... more travel advice
The Balconies Cliff Trail is a short relatively easy 0.8 mile route that provides and alternate to wandering through the... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Pinnacles National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hike in Pinnacles and visit nearby Soledad!"
- "Hot and Dry"
- "Pinnacles National Monument"
- "Wonderland of Other-worldly Rock Spires"
- "Pinnacles National Monument"
- "Rocks and Nature"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pinnacles National Monument
- Hotels in Pinnacles National Monument
- Restaurants in Pinnacles National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Pinnacles National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pinnacles National Monument
- 15 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Pinnacles National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pinnacles National Monument
- Posted in Travel Tokyo Forum "Re: Narita Airport to Tokyu Stay..."
- updated a Pinnacles National Monument Travel Page "Hike in Pinnacles and visit nearby Soledad!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mission Nuestra Señora Dolorosísima de la Soledad"
- Wrote a Review Mission Nuestra Señora Dolorosísima de la Soledad in Pinnacles National Monument Things to Do
Photos in Pinnacles National MonumentSee All Photos (79)
Top 10 Pages
- Japan Intro, 374 reviews, 1786 photos, 15 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 328 reviews, 1788 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 264 reviews, 1291 photos, 30 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 473 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues