"The Tall Tree" Top 5 Page for this destination Palo Alto by Ewingjr98
Palo Alto Travel Guide: 102 reviews and 256 photos
Palo Alto is a busy little town that is home to Stanford University and the birthplace of Hewlett Packard. Between the huge cities of San Jose and San Francisco, Palo Alto offers visitors a small-town version of its larger neighboring cities.
During our visit, we stuck mainly to the University Avenue area, which is where the majority of the town's nightlife, restaurants, and historic sites are clustered. My favorite stop was Stanford University, but I also enjoyed some of the small parks around town like Water Tower Park and Palo Alto Park.
The town's earliest European history dates from 1769 when Gaspar de Portolà visited the area in his search for Monterey Bay. Stanford University was established in 1887, and the founnder also created the town of Palo Alto next to the older town of Mayfield; they were merged into today's Palo Alto in 1925.
Around the time of WWII, Palo Alto became a key city in the high-tech area known as Silicon Valley. Hewlett Packard was created by two Stanford grads in 1939, and in 1951 Stanford Industrial Park, the world's first technology-focused office park, was created. Eastman Kodak, General Electric, and Lockheed have all had major operations here. Today Palo Alto is still a major technology hub and companies such as Facebook, Photobucket, Hewlett-Packard, Genencor and others still call Stanford home.
What to do with a 100 year old concrete water tower that is a foot thick concrete and might cost the city tens of... more travel advice
City Hall is kind of a plain 1960s-ish building with a brick and grass plaza called Martin Luther King Plaza. In fact,... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Palo Alto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Palo Alto - Stanford University's hometown"
- "The Tall Tree"
- "Palo Alto, California, USA"
- "Upscale University Town"
- "Palo Alto - Home of Stanford University"
- "GOING TO PALO ALTO"
- "Palo Alto: Not Just Stanford's Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Palo Alto
- Hotels in Palo Alto
- Transportation in Palo Alto
- Nightlife in Palo Alto
- Restaurants in Palo Alto
- Shopping in Palo Alto
- Warnings and Dangers in Palo Alto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Palo Alto
- 15 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Palo Alto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Palo Alto
Photos in Palo AltoSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 262 reviews, 1403 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 227 reviews, 1060 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues