"Rough and Tumble... Oakland" Top 5 Page for this destination Oakland by Ewingjr98

Oakland Travel Guide: 248 reviews and 517 photos

Why "rough and tumble?" According to FBI Crime statistics, in 2002 fifty percent of all murders in the entire Bay area occurred in Oakland and nearby Richmond, despite the fact they together account for only about 12% of the area's population... By crime rate, Oakland was the fifth most dangerous city in the nation in 2007 and second most dangerous in California. But like any city the crime is concentrated in specific areas (and I didn't go to those areas so I can't tell you where they are!). Jack London Square seemed very safe to me, but the walk down Broadway from the BART to Jack London Square was full of bums and drug dealers at two in the morning. Luckily the Oakland police headquarters is on this street (7th and Broadway) so I can't imagine things get too out of control.

I drove up to San Francisco from Monterey on Highway 1 along the beautiful California coast. I stayed in the Jack London Inn at Jack London Square in Oakland for two nights. The day I arrived in the city, I made my first stop the Golden Gate Bridge then drove down Embarcadero until I could get on the Bay Bridge to go to Oakland and check in.

After checking in and getting settled, I walked through Jack London Square then caught the ferry back to San Francisco...and saw the most beautiful sunset! Upon arriving in San Francisco, I walked up to Chinatown and grabbed dinner, then wandered toward North Beach, but the strip clubs convinced me this was the area where I wanted to hang out (but I found out the next night I was wrong!). After walking to Coit Tower then back to the piers, I jumped on the BART and went to Union Square. Looking for a few good, casual bars, I ended up walking clear into the Tenderloin district, then--since it was around 12:30am--I decided to head back to my hotel. A ride on the BART, followed by a quick walk through Oakland's rough downtown, and I was back to my hotel and in bed.

The next day I slept in a little then headed to the Oakland Coliseum to see the A's versus the White Sox. After the game, I took the BART to downtown San Francisco and went to Embarcadero Square Mall then down the piers to Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf. I stopped at Buena Vista Cafe for their famous Irish coffee then walked up to Lombard street to see the popular crooked street. After this I kept walking to North Beach where I had dinner and stopped at several bars. Around midnight I took the BART back to Oakland and spent about two hours at Heinold's First and Last Chance, now one of my favorite bars of all time.

The next morning, I checked out and drove back over the Bay Bridge (fighting traffic for 30-45 minutes despite the fact that it was Sunday morning) then found my way to Candlestick (Monster) Park to catch the 49ers game against the Rams. This weekend, both of the home teams won. After the game it took about 2 hours to get out of the parking lot, but eventually I made it out to Hwy 1 and back to Monterey.

Second visit -- 29 October 2006

I made another quick day trip to Oakland in late October to see the Steelers vs the Raiders. I'd love to tell you who won, but I am officially prohibited from giving any information about the game without advance written permission from the NFL and the Oakland Raiders ("including any picture, account, description"). I'm gonna blatantly break all the rules and tell you the much-hated Raiders beat the beloved Steelers 20-13 mostly due to Ben Roethlisberger's 4 interceptions, two of which were returned for touchdowns. The Steelers made it a close game in the 4th quarter and actually completed a hail Mary to the 3 yard line as the clock ran out... :( Everyone in the stadium cried I think. More violations of the NFL's copyright rules are available on my "Things to do" page about the Raiders game!

Other Trips to Oakland

I did make a few other trips to Oakland, mostly to visit my girlfriend's family. One these trips I usually didn't see much, other then a quick stop in Little Kabul and a few glimpses of the huge Mormon Church. I also took my parents to Oakland to visit Heinold's and to see the port where my dad was shipped out to Vietnam back in the 1960s.

• Last visit to Oakland: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 24, 2008

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2008 at 6:10 PM

I think a trip to stand in line at Bakesale Betty's is overdue. You can never have enough apple pie...I bet she makes a good peach, too!!!

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Nice Oakland page. I was introduced to Heinold's a few weeks ago -- An interesting and fun pub to hang out in.

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2006 at 6:17 PM

Nice start! I hope to see more. Happy birthday!

• Escadora7's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2006 at 10:45 PM

4 days to San Francisco, and we can't wait. Thanks for sharing some informative tips. Best wishes ~Eve n Ash

Ewingjr98 Visits Here Frequently!

Ewingjr98

“"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~ Ernest Hemingway”

Badges & Stats in Oakland

Have you been to Oakland?

Latest Activity in Oakland