"A quick hike up Fremont Peak" Fremont Peak State Park by Ewingjr98
Fremont Peak State Park Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 71 photos
From the summit of Fremont Peak, you can see about 30 miles in every direction: Hollister, San Juan Bautista, Santa Cruz, Moss Landing, Monterey, Pacific Grove, Salinas and just about everything in between. Only the southeasterly view is limited due to the large TV, radio, and cellular towers on the neighboring hill, plus the Gavilan Range extending in that direction is pretty significant, maybe restricting the view to 10 miles.
Controversial US Army officer and California Senator, John C. Fremont himself made camp on Fremont Peak (with some 60 US soldiers), and they claim he raised the first American flag on California soil on this peak in 1846. This was all before CA joined the US so Fremont was trying to provoke the Mexicans into the war that eventually occurred. Fremont was later named the first military governor of California, was one of California's first senators, and failed in a bid for President of the United States as the first-ever Republican candidate.
The 3,169 foot peak is at the southern corner of Fremont Peak State Park. This tiny park is home to an observatory, several small primitive campgrounds, perhaps two miles of trails, and a few historical markers. Entrance fee is $4 to park or $15 to camp.
- Pros:The view, the view, the view
- Cons:Tiny park with limited trails
From the summit of Fremont Peak, you can see about 30 miles in every direction: Hollister, San Juan Bautista, Santa... more travel advice
I saw a variety of wildlife at Fremont Peak despite being in the park just 2 or 3 hours including quail, lizards,... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Fremont Peak State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A quick hike up Fremont Peak"
- "View from the Top"
- "It Even Snows Here!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fremont Peak State Park
- Transportation in Fremont Peak State Park
- Restaurants in Fremont Peak State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Fremont Peak State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fremont Peak State Park
- 9 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Fremont Peak State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fremont Peak State Park
- Posted in Travel Tamaru Forum "Re: tamaru ski package"
- created a Fremont Peak State Park Travelogue "Fremont Peak as viewed from the surrounding area"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fremont Peak as viewed from the surrounding area"
- Wrote a Review View the surrounding cities in Fremont Peak State Park Things to Do
Photos in Fremont Peak State ParkSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 258 reviews, 1373 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 220 reviews, 1019 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues