"Eunique Eureka" Top 5 Page for this destination Eureka by Ewingjr98

Eureka Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 173 photos

On the third night of our west coast trip from Monterey to Vancouver and back, we spent the night at Eureka, California. Our drive on this day was from Santa Rosa, CA to Bodega Bay, then up the Coastal Highway via Point Arena to the Humboldt Redwoods.

We spent just one night in Eureka, where I went for a run along the bay, we had dinner and drinks downtown, we enjoyed breakfast the next morning.

After breakfast we left Eureka, droving through Redwoods National Park and Smith River National Wildlife Refuge, then stopped at Crater Lake on the way to Eugene, Oregon.

Eureka seems to me like an old fishing and logging town that has vastly declined and is still trying to find its way back on the map. Some progress has certainly been made, but the downtown area is relatively abandoned, and there isn''t much draw in town for travelers, except a few decent hotels for a quick overnight stop.

• Last visit to Eureka: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 5, 2008

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Nice Update! I spent one night in Eureka on a road trip up north too. I think I camped in a nearby park though. I remember a great Italian restaurant downtown that was a former speakeasy, but have long forgotten its name. You’ve captured this town well.

Ewingjr98 Visits Here Frequently!

Ewingjr98

“"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~ Ernest Hemingway”

Badges & Stats in Eureka