"Vietnam -- Beautiful Land" Vietnam by Ewingjr98

Vietnam Travel Guide: 12,779 reviews and 32,184 photos

Vietnam is a wonderful country that has recovered remarkably well from its war-torn past. Having just opened its borders in the early 1990s, it still has an immature but growing tourist industry. During my visit, I saw few westerners, and no other Americans. There was a tourist drop-off in 2003 due primarily to SARS, but still showing the after-effects of September 11th.

During my visit, I spent four days in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) visiting a small farm village to the north, My Tho on the Mekong River, and Vung Tau on the coast. I also spent five days in the Hanoi area, three of those days on a guided trip to breathtaking Halong Bay and Cat Ba Island.

• Pros:Inexpensive, good food, few tourists, great people
  • Cons:Scams, scams, scams
  • In a nutshell:The best trip I have ever experienced
  • Last visit to Vietnam: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 30, 2008

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Thanks for your page about that remote country, JR!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Great that you were invited to a Vietnamese farmhouse outside of HCMC. It's often an eye-opener to see how the local people actually live. Thanks for including some of your dad's photos from 1969.

• canadiantravelgirl's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2006 at 10:38 AM

Vietnam seems to be a great place!!! I can't wait to visit the place myself!!!

• aalayaa's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2006 at 7:41 PM

i'm going to vietnam next month. i hope it'll be great :)

• SeaPirate's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2004 at 4:42 PM

Great info and tips on Vietnam..I was there last november (i was going to danang to visit a girl i met online)..Like you, i had a great trip & never worried about muggers/pick-pockets

Ewingjr98

“"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~ Ernest Hemingway”

Badges & Stats in Vietnam

Have you been to Vietnam?

Latest Activity in Vietnam