Fukuoka-ken Things to Do Tips by Ewingjr98 Top 5 Page for this destination
Fukuoka-ken Things to Do: 12 reviews and 37 photos
Fukuoka's tallest building
Fukuoka Tower, at 234 meters, is the tallest building in Fukuoka. Making it stand out even more is the fact that it sits separate from the main downtown area by a mile or two.
There is an Observation Deck 123 meters above the ground, along with a cafe. Cost is 800 Yen for adults and 500 Yen for students, unless it's your birthday then entrance is free.
The tower was completed in 1989 and designed to withstand earthquakes reaching 7 on the Richter scale. Fukuoka has come close with a magnitude 6 earthquake in its past.
Address: 814-0001, 2-3-26 Momochihama, Sawaraku, Fukuoka
Directions: Kuko Subway Line to Nishijin Station. You'll see the tower
Phone: (092) 823-0234
Fukuoka is a clean city with a lot of hidden beauty. It's not all sleazy nightlife, tall buildings, and ancient castles. During my time in the city I wandered all over and probably saw more than many locals do in a year. During my short, less than 24 hour visit, I walked the following:
From the main train station to Nakasu, then to Tenjin Center, where I spent the night (1.6 miles/2.5 km)
The next day, from Tenjin Center to Fukuoka Castle, Ohori Park, Fukuoka Tower, then Momochi Beach where I stopped for lunch (4.4 miles/7.1 km).
Then all the way back to Tenjin Center and Nakasu, where I caught the subway back to the airport (about 3.6 miles/5.8 km).
During all this walking, I found numerous little parks, scenic view points, quiet spots along the water, beautiful buildings, and tranquil residential areas that I enjoyed.
The beach on a quiet weekday
Momochi Beach is an ideal spot to munch on some sushi and enjoy the wind and the waves. During week days, this is a quiet spot with few people.
This man-made beach, directly in front of the Fukuoka Tower, is about 1 km long. It is protected by seawalls and breakwaters, and the city has three other similar beaches adjacent to this one.
Stuck in the center of the beach is a diamond-shaped pier called Maruzon with shops and a ferry terminal. I did not venture out onto the pier as it looked awful touristy.
Directions: Kuko Subway Line to Fujisaki Station and head north past Fukuoka Tower.
Nice park south of Fukuoka Castle
Wander around the edge of the Ohori Park south of the castle which has a beautiful lake, with a nice white bridge leading to the islands in the center. The lake has a circumference of about 2km with a path all the way around. This is considered one of Japan's finest parks and is said to be a near imitation of a Chinese park called Xi Hu (West Lake) located in Hangzhou. There are also theaters, museums, and embassies in the area.
It was created in 1929 from part of the moat of the Fukuoka Castle, and is a very quick stroll from the castle.
Address: Ohori Koen, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka City, 810-0052
Directions: Subway to Ohori-koen station
Phone: +81 92 431 3003
Walls of Fukuoka Castle
The Fukuoka Castle ruins have impressive walls and moats, but the inside has modern sports facilities taking away from the aura. From the tower at the southern end of the castle, you have a great view of the surrounding city.
During my visit, there were dozens of Japanese painting different scenes of the castle, its walls, and the surrounding vegetation.
Directions: Take the Kuko Subway Line to either Akasaka or Ohori-koen Station.
More Reviews (6)
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Fukuoka-ken Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fukuoka-ken, People like a Festival"
- "Fukuoka - International City with Famous Nightlife"
- "FUKUOKA.... good food, nice people"
- "24 Hours in Fukuoka"
- "Fukuoka Prefecture"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fukuoka-ken
- Hotels in Fukuoka-ken
- Transportation in Fukuoka-ken
- Nightlife in Fukuoka-ken
- Restaurants in Fukuoka-ken
- Shopping in Fukuoka-ken
- Warnings and Dangers in Fukuoka-ken
- See All...
Explore the World
- Isla Cozumel
- Avalon Hotels
- New Washington Hotels
- Pahrump Hotels
- Kiangan Hotels
- Province of Misamis Oriental
Badges & Stats in Fukuoka-ken
- 11 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Fukuoka-ken?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fukuoka-ken
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1242 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 150 reviews, 753 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 100 reviews, 415 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues