"Nevada in the Winter" Nevada by Ewingjr98
Nevada Travel Guide: 10,543 reviews and 22,899 photos
I have visited Nevada twice: in 2006 on the way to the West Coast we stayed a night in Vegas, and in 2008 on the return trip to the East Coast, we spent a night in Reno.
In 2006 we stopped to see Lake Meade and Hoover Dam before finally getting to our hotel around 8pm. We stayed at the Frontier (which was a real dump until it was demolished in 2007!) on the northern end of the strip. We wandered for a little while before finally getting dinner at the Venetian. Later we stopped at Caesar's Palace and the Bellagio before taking the elevated rail back to the north end of the strip near our hotel. The next morning we were up around 8am heading to Death Valley on our way to our final destination, Monterey, California!
My visit to Reno was in October 2008 during some cold weather and an early snowfall. After a harrowing journey over snow Mount Rose, we arrived at the Reno Plaza in the evening. After checking in we decided to walk the 3/4 mile or so in frigid weather down to the strip and check out the gaming and nightlife. After an uneventful night of watching Major League Baseball playoffs at the soon to be replaced Fitzgerald's Casino, we had dinner at the Cal-Nev Casino, then returned to the hotel. The next day we were up early and on the road across the deserts of Nevada.
Winnemucca was originally settled around 1830 by beaver trappers. Today the town rests at the junction of US 95 and... more travel advice
Elko was created as a town at the temporary end point of a portion of the Transcontinental Railroad in 1868. In 1926... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Nevada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Big Bold Beautiful Country"
- "Carson Valley 2003"
- "GEMS BEYOND THE STRIP"
- "Home in the Great Basin"
- "NEVADA: Awesome Landscapes"
- "Beyond The Desert And Casinos"
- "Sneaking into Nevada under cover of darkness!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nevada
- Hotels in Nevada
- Transportation in Nevada
- Nightlife in Nevada
- Restaurants in Nevada
- Shopping in Nevada
- Warnings and Dangers in Nevada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nevada
- 23 Reviews
- 119 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (105)
Have you been to Nevada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nevada
Top 10 Pages
- Japan Intro, 408 reviews, 1927 photos, 15 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 328 reviews, 1788 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 264 reviews, 1285 photos, 30 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 472 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues