"Nevada in the Winter" Nevada by Ewingjr98

Nevada Travel Guide: 10,381 reviews and 22,307 photos

I have visited Nevada twice: in 2006 on the way to the West Coast we stayed a night in Vegas, and in 2008 on the return trip to the East Coast, we spent a night in Reno.

Vegas

In 2006 we stopped to see Lake Meade and Hoover Dam before finally getting to our hotel around 8pm. We stayed at the Frontier (which was a real dump until it was demolished in 2007!) on the northern end of the strip. We wandered for a little while before finally getting dinner at the Venetian. Later we stopped at Caesar's Palace and the Bellagio before taking the elevated rail back to the north end of the strip near our hotel. The next morning we were up around 8am heading to Death Valley on our way to our final destination, Monterey, California!

Reno

My visit to Reno was in October 2008 during some cold weather and an early snowfall. After a harrowing journey over snow Mount Rose, we arrived at the Reno Plaza in the evening. After checking in we decided to walk the 3/4 mile or so in frigid weather down to the strip and check out the gaming and nightlife. After an uneventful night of watching Major League Baseball playoffs at the soon to be replaced Fitzgerald's Casino, we had dinner at the Cal-Nev Casino, then returned to the hotel. The next day we were up early and on the road across the deserts of Nevada.

• Last visit to Nevada: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Nov 13, 2008

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Whenever I have flown over Nevada, I have always thought "It sure doesn't look like there is much down there."

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2008 at 4:50 PM

I never made it to Winnemucca. It looks smaller than I imagined.

Ewingjr98

“"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~ Ernest Hemingway”

Badges & Stats in Nevada