"Washington DC" Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. by Ewingjr98
Washington D.C. Travel Guide: 5,653 reviews and 15,102 photos
Washington DC, the Capital City of the US, is a diverse city of monuments, historic sites, and government buildings, along with good nightlife, nice restaurants, and a variety of outdoor activities.
During my visits, I always loved to see the major memorials, such as the Vietnam War Memorial, the Korean War Memorial, and the new World War II Memorial. I also enjoy the diverse neighborhoods such as Chinatown, Foggy Bottom, Georgetown, Adams Morgan, DuPont Circle, and across the river, Arlington and Alexandria, Virginia. Since living in the city all of November and December 2008, I have been trying to find all of the good hole-in-the-wall restaurants and off-the-beaten-path attractions throughout the city that are overlooked by visitors who are here for just a short time.
Best touristy things to do in Washington DC: visit the numerous monuments and memorials on the mall, see the dozens of museums of the Smithsonian Institution, maybe shop in Georgetown, see the famous government buildings like the White House and Capitol, and maybe check out a few other historic sites like Ford's Theater. Many visitors will also want to see some of the nearby areas like Arlington National Cemetery, Old Town Alexandria, and Mount Vernon.
My favorite not-so-touristy things to do in Washington DC: shop at Eastern Market and the Maine Avenue Fish Market, wander the historic streets and parks of Capitol Hill, eat in Chinatown or Barracks Row, go out for the nightlife at Adams Morgan, enjoy an afternoon at Rock Creek Park, hike or bike the C&O Canal, check out the view from the Old Post Office Tower, visit the Shakespeare Theater, and see some of the non-touristy monuments like the National Law Enforcement Monument and the Navy Memorial.
In November of 2008 I brought an Afghan friend to the Mall for a quick afternoon visit that was cut short buy the cold wind and blowing snow flurries. He was amazed at the size of the Washington Monument and impressed by the White House and Capitol Building. I was a little surprised that he had never heard of Lincoln, but then again they have been dealing with other problems in Afghanistan since well before he was born. I was glad to hear him say, upon his first glimpse of the National Mall, "Wow, for the first time I really feel like I am in America." Makes you proud to be an American.
- Pros:History; European flavor; public transportation
- Cons:Poverty; American commercialism; traffic
- In a nutshell:A must visit for anyone... but use the metro!
I stopped in for a qucik Yuengling at the Firkin and Fox while sitting around waiting for United Airlines to unscrew my... more travel advice
Gordon Biersch has a popular location in Reagan National Airport near gates 39 and 40. The place gets packed in the... more travel advice
- See All National Treasury Building
- See All Take the FREE US Capitol Building Tour
- See All The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC - West...
- See All Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium (RFK...
- See All Future President Dwight D. Eisenhower...
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Washington D.C. Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Neither American nor European City :-)"
- "Washington DC"
- "Washington D.C."
- "MY HOMETOWN"
- "Washington D.C."
- "Welcome to Washington DC our Nations Capital"
- "My Hometown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Washington D.C.
- Hotels in Washington D.C.
- Transportation in Washington D.C.
- Nightlife in Washington D.C.
- Restaurants in Washington D.C.
- Shopping in Washington D.C.
- Warnings and Dangers in Washington D.C.
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Washington D.C.
- 246 Reviews
- 1,168 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Washington D.C.?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Washington D.C.
- Posted in Travel Japan Forum "Re: Mitake Station Autumn Leaf"
- updated a Washington D.C. Travel Page "Washington DC"
- Wrote a Review Firkin and Fox Pub - Dulles Airport in Washington D.C. Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Firkin and Fox Pub - Dulles Airport"
- Uploaded a Video to Washington D.C.
- Commented on one of jethanand's Washington D.C. travel pages
Photos in Washington D.C.See All Photos (1168)
Videos in Washington D.C.See All Videos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 262 reviews, 1403 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 227 reviews, 1060 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues