"Caen -- Sword & Juno Beaches" Caen by Ewingjr98
Caen Travel Guide: 153 reviews and 406 photos
The city of Caen sits just south of the Normandy invasion beaches codenamed Sword and Juno. This city is the gateway to all of Normandy, but especially these westernmost beaches.
In the weeks following D-Day, Caen became a German stronghold and a critical junction preventing the Allied advance deeper into France. Weeks and weeks of bombings destroyed the city, and it ultimately fell in July 1944, opening the road to Paris.
The city of Caen is the largest in the region of Normandy. It has ancient roots going back prior to William the Conqueror establishing his headquarters here in 1060. Le Château de Caen is a great castle-fortress which is now home to a large museum covering the Normandy Invasion. Other famous locations in Caen are Abbaye-aux-Hommes and Abbaye-aux-Dames built in the 1060s by William the Conqueror and his wife (& cousin) Mathilde.
Eglise Saint Pierre sits near the center of Caen near the castle. It was built from the 13th to 16th Century. The... more travel advice
Sword is the easternmost of the five D-Day landing beaches. It was attacked by the British 2nd Army along with... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Caen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "William The Conquerer is here"
- "Caen, 'the battlefield'"
- "Caen in Normandy"
- "A Very Old City with a Modern Dress"
- "Caen -- Sword & Juno Beaches"
- "A Caened Taste of Western France"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caen
- Hotels in Caen
- Transportation in Caen
- Nightlife in Caen
- Restaurants in Caen
- Shopping in Caen
- Warnings and Dangers in Caen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Caen
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to Caen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caen
Top 10 Pages
- Japan Intro, 408 reviews, 1927 photos, 15 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 328 reviews, 1788 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 264 reviews, 1285 photos, 30 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 472 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues