Hanoi Transportation Tips by Ewingjr98
Hanoi Transportation: 179 reviews and 174 photos
Surprise departure fee
Don't be surprised when you are flying out of Hanoi and you have to pay US$14 departure fee! We had no clue and no one bothered to mention to us until we were through security and going through customs... We almost missed our flight, backtracking to pay this tax. Not to mention they wouldn't let us carry our bags back out through security, so we let them sit in the middle of the airport with thousands of people milling about. Not a pleasant experience.
Hanoi Airport is new and modern, quite a contrast from HCMC's Vietnam War-era airport. The only problem is its location, quite a long drive from the city. Not as many airlines fly into Hanoi as into HCMC, so you may have more trouble getting here. We flew Vietnam airlines from HCMC to Hanoi, then again from Hanoi to Seoul. The hour-long flight sure beats the day-long train trip.
Be aware of the exit tax when you depart the country!
Me enjoying the evening in Hanoi
We took one cyclo trip while in Vietnam -- from the Old Quarter to Apocalypse Now late one evening. It cost about $2, but it took almost 30 minutes with our drivers pedaling like mad. We had two cyclos and we talked the drivers into racing... it was entertaining, but don't expect this to be your primary means of transportation.
Just like other areas of Vietnam, motorcycle is the way to go. Everyone is willing to give a ride to the "rich Westerner," so you never have to wander far until you find a willing driver. It is cheap, usually negotiated down to $1 or $2 per hour. These guys also know where the big tourist sights are so they may take you places you didn't know existed or hadn't planned to visit.
It is a long, 45 minute drive from the Hanoi airport to the center of the city. Grab a taxi at the airport and negotiate the price before you leave. There is a toll on the road from the airport to the city. Our driver tried to make us pay 3 times the toll amount. When we refused he tried to make us pay only the exact amount of the toll. Since we had negotiated with him for $10, all inclusive ride to the city, we refused this as well. We just told him to pull over an let us out... he changed his mind and took us to the city for our original price.
Local lady thought this was hilarious; that's me
Unlike Ho Chi Minh City, walking is a viable alternative to the motorcycles in Hanoi. Many of the sights are in relatively compact areas, and you will see a lot that you would have missed zooming through the streets hanging on for dear life. Some areas, like the Old Quarter, walking is the only way to enjoy the scenery.
More Reviews (34)
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Hanoi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Adventure Continues in Hanoi ! Hanoi !"
- "Good morning Hanoi !"
- "Hanoi - City of Absorbing Sights and Sounds"
- "Hanoi - City of the Soaring Dragon"
- "MY 1ST STOP IN VIETNAM WAS......................."
- "Ignoring Hanoi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hanoi
- Hotels in Hanoi
- Transportation in Hanoi
- Nightlife in Hanoi
- Restaurants in Hanoi
- Shopping in Hanoi
- Warnings and Dangers in Hanoi
- See All...
Explore the World
- Syabru Bensi Hotels
- Isla de Tabarca
- Pate Island Hotels
- La Puntica de Juan Dolio Hotels
- Isla San Lorenzo Hotels
- Point Arena
Badges & Stats in Hanoi
- 40 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Hanoi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hanoi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1242 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 140 reviews, 697 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 80 reviews, 336 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest Hanoi hotel reviews
- Hanoi Elegance 2
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
- Hanoi Paradise Hotel
- 226 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Army Hotel
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Hanoi Boutique Hotel
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 16, 2013
- Golden Key Hotel Hanoi
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2012
- Hanoi Venus Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 18, 2012
- Hanoi Daewoo Hotel
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 25, 2013
- Duc Thai Hotel Hanoi
- 166 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 15, 2013
- Golden Lotus Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hanoi Plaza Hotel
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 21, 2013
- ATS Hotel Hanoi
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 21, 2010
- Anh 2 Hotel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 1, 2008
- Hanoi Charming Hotel
- 768 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Old Darling Cafe Hotel
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 19, 2008
- The Jasmine Hotel
- 397 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum- 77 Reviews, 141 Photos
- Water Puppet Show- 70 Reviews, 120 Photos
- Hoan Kiem Lake- 96 Reviews, 213 Photos
- Temple of Literature- 66 Reviews, 171 Photos
- One Pillar Pagoda- 43 Reviews, 75 Photos
- Ha Long Bay- 39 Reviews, 108 Photos
- The Museum of Ethnology- 38 Reviews, 109 Photos
- Hoa Lo Prison- 20 Reviews, 52 Photos
- West Lake- 15 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Presidential Palace- 25 Reviews, 42 Photos
See All Hanoi Things to Do