"My Tho Boat Tour" My Tho by Ewingjr98
My Tho Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 204 photos
While in HCMC, we took a day trip to My Tho along the Mekong River. My Tho makes a good day trip because it is just a few hours down Highway 1 from HCMC.
We arrived and negotiated for a private boat tour, just my friend Vince, me, our boat driver, and two English speaking tour guides. I think we paid too much at about US$60 for 8 hours on the water, but it was worth every penny.
We left My Tho around 1200 and went directly to Turtle Island. There, we went to a small shop where the locals make coconut candy and banana nut wine. There is also a little souvenir shop on the island.
Next we went to a tourist area down a small canal called something like Bung Tat. Being a week day, the village was utterly deserted except for us and our guides. We ordered elephant eared fish and fresh tropical fruit, along with a few beers. The fish was delicious and we napped for a few minutes on the comfortable hammocks.
We then took a few side trips down small canals and saw men fishing in the river and collecting mud from the river bottom.
Our last stop before dark was Unicorn Island. This long island has several tourist pavilions with food, drink, and live music. We decided to take a walk on the island just before dark. The small paths with bicycles reminded by of movies about the Ho Chi Minh Trail. School was just getting out when we walked past, and the children were thrilled to see Americans. The air was filled with shouts of "Hello!"
We walked back to the boat and our driver took us back to the docks near My Tho where we had started our Mekong River sightseeing journey.
By renting a private boat, you can see what you want rather than going straight from one tourist trap to another. You... more travel advice
At Turtle Island, you can see the Vietnamese making coconut candy over an open fire made from coconut shells. They also... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
My Tho Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Tho Boat Tour"
- "the Mekong Delta for beginners"
- "The gate to the Mekong Delta."
- "My Tho, Typical City in Booming Mekong Delta Area!"
- "Jumping in My Tho"
- "Mekong Delta"
- "The Mekong River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in My Tho
- Transportation in My Tho
- Restaurants in My Tho
- Warnings and Dangers in My Tho
- See All...
Badges & Stats in My Tho
- 8 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to My Tho?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in My Tho
- Posted in Travel Seoul Forum "Re: 1st time & solo trip to Seoul"
- Uploaded a Photo to "More Cool Pix from the Mekong River Delta"
- created a My Tho Travelogue "More Cool Pix from the Mekong River Delta"
- Commented on one of AyurinHiro's My Tho travel pages
- Wrote a Review Rent a Private Boat in My Tho Off The Beaten Path
Photos in My ThoSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 273 reviews, 1472 photos, 29 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 266 reviews, 1266 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues