"A Quick Side Trip to Vung Tau" Top 5 Page for this destination Vung Tau by Ewingjr98
Vung Tau Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 258 photos
Because my father had been to Vung Tau during the Vietnam War, I wanted to visit while I was in HCMC. We got round trip tickets on the Hydrofoil in HCMC, and enjoyed the one hour journey down the Saigon River. Upon arriving at Vung Tau, we were accosted by the usual motorcycle drivers, souvenir hawkers and con-artists, but we just walked across the street to a nice cafe for lunch. After spring rolls and Ba Ba Ba (333) Beer, we hired a motorcycle for a quick tour of the island. We started by going to the top of Small Mountain for the breathtaking views of the city. The top of this mountain has an old French lighthouse and fortifications.
After going back down the mountain, we circled around the southern tip of the peninsula on the way to the Bai Sau or Back Beach. After a few minutes on the beach, we proceeded to the center of town and the Lang Ca Ong, or Whale Temple. Inside this temple are the bones of a huge whale.
Running out of time, we made a quick stop at Bach Dinh -- a villa formerly housing the rich and influential, now a museum with nice views over the Front Beach (Bai Truoc).
Since we had a date in the afternoon in HCMC, we went back to the pier and got on the hydrofoil bound for Saigon.
- Pros:Decent beaches, quiet on the weekdays
- Cons:Very busy on the weekends
Visible from Back Beach and the cliffs at the southern edge of the peninsula is scenic Hon Ba Temple, which sits a few... more travel advice
Take the Hydrofoil between HCMC and Vung Tau. In 2003, it costs about US$10 (120,000 VND) for a round trip, but as of... more travel advice
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Vung Tau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beach resort, work and R&R. . . . oops!"
- "A Quick Side Trip to Vung Tau"
- "Perfect Weekend Getaway"
- "Vung Tau"
- "VUNG TAU VIETNAM"
- "Vung Tau - An Amazing Resort Town To Visit"
- "escape the city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vung Tau
- Hotels in Vung Tau
- Transportation in Vung Tau
- Restaurants in Vung Tau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vung Tau
- 9 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Vung Tau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vung Tau
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 225 reviews, 1208 photos, 24 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 184 reviews, 823 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest Vung Tau hotel reviews
- Ho Tram Osaka Resort
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Imperial Hotel
- 121 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Long Hai Beach Resort
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 10, 2012
- Con Dao Seatravel Resort
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- Petro House Hotel
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Palace Hotel
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013