"A Quick Side Trip to Vung Tau" Top 5 Page for this destination Vung Tau by Ewingjr98

Vung Tau Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 258 photos

Because my father had been to Vung Tau during the Vietnam War, I wanted to visit while I was in HCMC. We got round trip tickets on the Hydrofoil in HCMC, and enjoyed the one hour journey down the Saigon River. Upon arriving at Vung Tau, we were accosted by the usual motorcycle drivers, souvenir hawkers and con-artists, but we just walked across the street to a nice cafe for lunch. After spring rolls and Ba Ba Ba (333) Beer, we hired a motorcycle for a quick tour of the island. We started by going to the top of Small Mountain for the breathtaking views of the city. The top of this mountain has an old French lighthouse and fortifications.

After going back down the mountain, we circled around the southern tip of the peninsula on the way to the Bai Sau or Back Beach. After a few minutes on the beach, we proceeded to the center of town and the Lang Ca Ong, or Whale Temple. Inside this temple are the bones of a huge whale.

Running out of time, we made a quick stop at Bach Dinh -- a villa formerly housing the rich and influential, now a museum with nice views over the Front Beach (Bai Truoc).

Since we had a date in the afternoon in HCMC, we went back to the pier and got on the hydrofoil bound for Saigon.

• Pros:Decent beaches, quiet on the weekdays
  • Cons:Very busy on the weekends
  • Last visit to Vung Tau: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 14, 2006

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Good that you took a side trip to Vung Tau. Thanks for including your father's old photos.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2008 at 2:35 PM

I'll take the hydrofoil to Vung Tau in two weeks; thanks for this intro to this beach city. (But I 'll not go for a bath there!)

• BullDurham's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2006 at 5:19 PM

Good page on Vung Tau with pictures of many of my favourites. Thank you.

• crazy_vietgirl2's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2005 at 7:58 AM

Excellent picutres of Vietnam. I especially liked the Vung Tau pics...too bad you don't have any more. Planning a trip there in January to vist my birth place FINALY!!!.Cheers and happy travels~Van

• lukeredhead's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2004 at 2:05 AM

Great photo

Ewingjr98

“"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~ Ernest Hemingway”

Badges & Stats in Vung Tau

Have you been to Vung Tau?

Latest Activity in Vung Tau