"Return to Seoul" Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul by Ewingjr98
Seoul Travel Guide: 3,052 reviews and 7,535 photos
Seoul, with 12 million people, is the 4th largest city in the world and it is surrounded by mountains and farms. Even though Koreans flock to the city during the week to work, they flock to the national parks on the weekends to hike. Within Seoul, you have modern skyscrapers next to 800 year old palaces. There are military installations (both US and Korean) beside beautiful parks.
The capital of South Korea, Seoul is a very modern city with a relatively high standard of living compared to other east and southeast Asian nations. There is a lot to see and do across the spectrum of Korean history (palaces & fortresses), Buddhist temples, parks (like 1988 Olympic Park), hiking, culture, great restaurants, and lots of nightlife...
I absolutely loved the city of Seoul and all that it offered. Almost every weekend, I got to go sightseeing, visit the parks and historic sights, or just wander through different neighborhoods.
While in Seoul, I also visited Busan, Incheon, Songtan, Suwon, and the North Korean border at the DMZ.
From Korea, I also made side trips to:
Fukuoka and Okinawa, Japan
Saigon and Hanoi, Vietnam
Hong Kong and Macao, China
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Angkor Wat, Cambodia
After nine years, I finally returned to Seoul, one of my favorite cities in the world.
We flew into Inchon Airport from Tokyo and took the new Airport Express into the city for just a few thousand Won. When we arrived, we checked into our centrally located hotel, stopped by the War Memorial, and decided to grab a few beers in Itaewon. We spent about 45 minutes exploring the area, then we had some mandu and teriyaki chicken from a small shop on food vendor alley. We stopped for beers at two of my favorite bars from my previous time in Seoul: Seoul Pub and Scrooge, then we had another late-night snack on food vendor alley (mandu soup) before retiring for the night.
On Tuesday, we started our day with kimbab, then we hiked Namsan to Seoul Tower. We walked down the mountain's north side to Myeongdong, then did some shopping in Namdaemun before shopping at Kyobo bookstore, then visiting Insadong. We had dinner at a great Kalbi restaurant in Gangnam.
Wednesday began with kimbab from the restaurant called Kimbab Heaven, then we visited Changdeokgung, the Secret Garden and Gyeongbokgung. We also wandered around Bukchon where we had lunch at a great local restaurant. It began to rain, so we stopped for a beer at a bar next to the park along Cheonggyecheon stream. For dinner we went to Noryangjin Fish Market.
On Thursday we had lunch in Itaewon before heading up to the DMZ for a tour of the North Korean tunnels and Panmunjom. We had dinner at a crappy cafeteria while on the tour, then we went back to Itaewon to enjoy a few beers and a snack.
Friday was spent at Dongdaemun and the surrounding area, including a great lunch of seafood stew, before catching a flight home.
- Pros:Good food (even kimchi!), many great sights, friendly Korean people
- Cons:The overpowering aroma of hundreds of people who had kimchi for breakfast all crammed into an air-tight subway car
The drive from Seoul to the DMZ is a heavily defended stretch of road and riverfront. As you get out of Seoul, you will... more travel advice
Bier Halle is the name of a small chain of German-style beer and sausage houses located throughout Seoul. I have visited... more travel advice
- See All DMZ - Panmungak
- See All National Assembly Building
- See All Namsan Cable Car
- See All Taegukgi - The Flag of Korea
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Seoul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to The Land of Big Smog"
- "Return to Seoul"
- "Seoul - My favorite place on Earth!"
- "Seoul: Energy in the Land of the Morning Calm"
- "Organized Chaos --> Seoul, South Korea"
- "Seoul, Capital of Korea"
- "Backpacking Korea in Winter / Spring"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Seoul
- Hotels in Seoul
- Transportation in Seoul
- Nightlife in Seoul
- Restaurants in Seoul
- Shopping in Seoul
- Warnings and Dangers in Seoul
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Seoul
- 214 Reviews
- 854 Photos
- 24 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Seoul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seoul
- Posted in Travel Seoul Forum "Re: 1st time & solo trip to Seoul"
- Commented on one of Ewingjr98's Seoul travel pages
- created a Seoul Travelogue "Views into North Korea"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Views into North Korea"
- Wrote a Review The Drive to the DMZ in Seoul Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Video to Seoul
Photos in SeoulSee All Photos (854)
Videos in SeoulSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 273 reviews, 1472 photos, 29 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 266 reviews, 1266 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 283 reviews, 1243 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 245 reviews, 1123 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 194 reviews, 902 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 214 reviews, 848 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 168 reviews, 735 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Francisco Intro, 107 reviews, 469 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 90 reviews, 470 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Intro, 71 reviews, 373 photos, 4 travelogues