"Living In Washington" Washington State by Espritducoeur

Washington State Travel Guide: 8,164 reviews and 23,897 photos

Born and Raised in Washington State

I was born and raised in Washington State and though I currently live in Dickinson, Texas, I still think and always will think of Washington as my home. Hince why I have 'I live here' instead of 'I used to live here' up in the 'WHEN WAS YOUR LAST VISIT'.

Nowhere else I've ever been to, with the slight exceptions of Colorado and Oregon, can even compare to the beauty and wonder that is Washington State. Sure, I live in the drier part of the state (Quincy) but I have been up around Seattle, Tacoma, and definitely through White Pass.

The most beautiful drive I have ever experienced would be the drive from Yakama and up through White Pass - it is literally ALL mountains and trees, with small waterfalls and creeks along the side of the road. God, it was breathtaking. I've passed that way about three or four times, and each time I am blown away by the sheer beauty of it all.

I admit that, while I have lived in Washington most of my life, I haven't done much exploring of the north west side of the state, which is a bummer. I know what Washington has to offer - camping, swimming, hiking, sailing, whale watching, mountain climbing, etc. - I just haven't had the opportunity to experience it all.

I don't think I'll ever truly leave Washington State - yeah, I don't live there now but it's only temporary. I will go back as soon as I am able.

Those who are looking for a great outdoors place to either live or vacation, come to Washington! We would love to have you. You'll definitely enjoy your stay! Also, if you come to visit, check out the San Juan Islands. They are beautiful!

Activities in Washington State

Washington State has a large variety of seasonal and year round activities. Camping, skiing, snowboarding, hiking trails, mountain climbing with high peaks, swimming lakes and rivers and ponds and of course the ocean. There are many, upon MANY places to fish - creeks, brooks, rivers, ponds and lakes galore. Mostly salmon and trout, but every once in a while you get something else.

We have an amazing zoo in Seattle, as well as an Aquarium. I went there when I was in 4th grade with my class and it was amazing. Even to this day, I still remember how much fun my class and I had. Kids will definitely enjoy these two aspects of Seattle, for sure.

Experience the marine life, by going out on the Pacific Ocean and do some whale watching (it's seasonal, I believe - mostly August). You are more often than not likely to see something. It IS the Pacific Ocean, so it is cold and wet, but it feels amazing. It can be finger-numbingly cold, but at the same time the experience that you'll have far outways that. Just a heavy coat will keep you warm. You're likely to see Sea Lions as well as well as a large variety of Pacific sea birds litering the waters.

Again, yes. In the NW of the state, around the Olympic Peninsula and along the coast for sure, it is very wet and it rains constantly. However, that just adds to the beauty that is the West Coast. The rain makes every color simply pop, especially the greens. Though it does rain a lot, there are days - not many but they do exist - where the sun shines through the thick overcast and warms you up. It's not always cold.

Washington is the perfect place to live and visit. It has something to offer for everyone.

Oh, and don't forget our museums. Down in the southern part of the state, if I am right, then the Lewis and Clark Expedition came through Washington State and there are museums about them. That is most likely why there is a Lewis County and a Clark County within the state. We also have a Space/NASA (Science) Museum, as well, along with many others.

There are then the natural attractions - Grand Coulee Dam, Rocky Reach Dam, Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Adams, Mt. Baker, and again, the National Forests and Parks and many Indian Reservations. Chelan Falls is also a good place to go visit.

The Cascade Range is located in Washington State, which makes up most of the forest that runs through it, along with Oregon and I think Canada.

• Pros:The beautiful, wet, foresty smell that accompanies the drive through the mountains.
  • Cons:Not much to see on the eastern side of the state. Dry and rather boring.
  • In a nutshell:Rain and Sunshine, all in the same state - with a variety of activities to do.
  • Last visit to Washington State: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

Espritducoeur Lives Here!

“One Life, One World...Where You Gonna Go?”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Washington State

Have you been to Washington State?

Latest Activity in Washington State