"William B. Umstead State Park" William B Umstead State Park by jmpncsu
William B Umstead State Park Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 30 photos
William B. Umstead State Park is a state park nestled within the bustling Triangle area between Raleigh, Cary, and RDU airport. Despite the park's urban location, it is a great natural oasis in an urban setting. The park was originally used by Native Americans until European settlement. The land that is now Umstead park was farmland until the 1930s, when in 1934, the federal government bought up depleted farmland for conservation. The remnants of old farms and homesteads can still be seen throughout the park. Perhaps the most famous is the millstone on Company Mill Trail. Other signs include old root cellars and cemeteries. One way to spot an old homestead is the presence of daffodils in spring. These non-native flowers were planted by the old residents of the land and continue to grow back each year. The state initially purchased this area, originally named the Crabtree Creek Recreation Area for $1 and additional facilities were built when the General Assembly first appropriated funds for state parks in the 1940s. In 1950, 1,000 acres were established for a separate park for African-Americans, called Reedy Creek State Park. Crabtree Creek Recreation Area was renamed after William Bradley Umstead, a former NC governor, for his conservation efforts, and in 1966 the two areas were united and desegregated under the William B. Umstead State Park name, and both areas were open to all visitors.
jmpncsu's Related Pages
William B Umstead State Park Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in William B Umstead State Park
- 1 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to William B Umstead State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in William B Umstead State Park
- updated a William B Umstead State Park Travel Page "William B. Umstead State Park"
- Posted in Travel North Carolina Forum "Re: Cherohala Skyway"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Rod's Umstead Ruins Hike 2014"
- Commented on one of jmpncsu's William B Umstead State Park tips
- Wrote a Review Mushrooms! in William B Umstead State Park Off The Beaten Path
Photos in William B Umstead State ParkSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Glacier National Park 11 reviews, 41 photos
- Helen 10 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Raven Rock State Park Intro, 1 review, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Raleigh Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla 8 reviews, 33 photos
- Washington D.C. 9 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Shenandoah National Park 7 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brevard 6 reviews, 34 photos, 6 travelogues
- Dublin 10 reviews, 28 photos