"Pilot Mountain" Pilot Mountain State Park by jmpncsu
Pilot Mountain State Park Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 18 photos
Pilot Mountain State Park is a state park about 15 miles north of Winston-Salem and 15 miles south of Mount Airy. in Surry and Yadkin Counties. The closest town is Pinnacle. There are two sections of the park - the Mountain Section and the River Section. The Mountain Section includes Pilot Mountain and River Section includes a part of the Yadkin River about 6 miles south of Pilot Mountain. The Corridor Trail runs between the two sections.
Pilot Mountain is one of the remaining peaks of the ancient Sauratown Range, which also includes the mountains in Hanging Rock State Park and Sauratown Mountain on private land. The peak is erosion-resistant quartzite which has resisted the erosion that wore down the surrounding areas over millions of years. The native Saura Indians called the peak Jomeokee, meaning "Great Guide" or "Pilot", because the conspicuous pinnacle, rising 1,400 feet above the surrounding countryside, acted as a guide to Native Americans and early European settlers.
The mountain was first mapped in 1751 by Joshua Fry and Peter Jefferson, father of the third president. After being a commercial tourist attraction, Pilot Mountain became the 14th North Carolina State Park in 1968 through community efforts to protect the mountain and surrounding countryside from development. In 1970, 1,000 additional acres of land along the Yadkin River was added to the park and additional land has been added since, bring the total area of the park to 3,703 acres.
jmpncsu's Related Pages
Pilot Mountain State Park Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Pilot Mountain State Park
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Pilot Mountain State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pilot Mountain State Park
Photos in Pilot Mountain State ParkSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla 8 reviews, 33 photos
- Washington D.C. 9 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- South Iceland 6 reviews, 30 photos
- Raven Rock State Park Intro, 1 review, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Raleigh 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Stone Mountain State Park Intro, 2 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bora-Bora 7 reviews, 21 photos
- Linville Falls Intro, 3 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Grayson Highlands State Park Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
No friends yet.