"Campeche close to Uxmal and Kabah" Estado de Campeche by titus
Estado de Campeche Travel Guide: 198 reviews and 521 photos
Campeche is a city and municipality of Mexico located at 19.85° N 90.53° W, on the shore of the Gulf of Mexico. The city's population at the 2005 census was 211,671 people. The municipality for which it serves as municipal seat had a population of 238,850.
The city was founded in 1540 by Spanish conquistadores as San Francisco de Campeche atop the pre-existing Maya city of Canpech or Kimpech. The Pre-Columbian city was described as having 3,000 houses and various monuments, of which little trace remains.
The city retains many of the old colonial Spanish city walls and fortifications which protected the city (not always successfully) from pirates and buccaneers. The state of preservation and quality of its architecture earned it the status of a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1999.
Modern mexican cities are typically not the most beautiful sities in the world, Campeche however is an exception...Hotel recommendation: Oceanview Hotel
titus' Related Pages
Estado de Campeche Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Turtle beach of the Gulf of Mexico"
- "La Ciudad de Piratas"
- "Campeche close to Uxmal and Kabah"
- "More beautiful than Merida"
- "La ciudad amurallada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Estado de Campeche
- Hotels in Estado de Campeche
- Transportation in Estado de Campeche
- Nightlife in Estado de Campeche
- Restaurants in Estado de Campeche
- Shopping in Estado de Campeche
- Warnings and Dangers in Estado de Campeche
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Estado de Campeche
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Estado de Campeche?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Estado de Campeche
Photos in Estado de CampecheSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Palo Alto Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- San Diego Intro, 3 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 3 photos
- Tulum Intro, 3 photos
- Estado de Campeche Intro, 3 photos
- Palenque Intro, 3 photos
- Ruinas Uxmal Intro, 3 photos
- Kabah Intro, 3 photos
- Teotihuacán Intro, 2 photos
No friends yet.