"To Scotland, via timeshare exchange!" Kilconquhar by 6mirror
Kilconquhar Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 16 photos
Soon after our first big trip to Europe, and having caught the world travel bug, we bought a time share and in 2008 exchanged a week at this charming medieval castle estate. It was like a dream come true! We stayed in a spacious and comfortable 3 bedroom villa on the beautiful sprawling estate overlooking the North Sea.
This time, though, it was a family pilgrimage to our Scotland roots with my mother and niece and family friend. From here, we took excellent day tours all over Scotland plus a fabulous customized tour specifically to the borderlands just for our party of four, to where my dad's family came from.
But THIS castle estate and village of the same name was well worth a week's stay in and of itself!
The castle dates back to the 13th century and was the ancestral home of Adam of Kilconquhar, Earl of Carrick, whose son was the great Robert the Bruce, restorer of Scottish liberty, who spent much of his life in residence.
It was thrilling to actually be staying in a place so steeped in history!
Just minutes away on foot is the sleepy village nestled in green rolling hills above the fishing villages along the seacoast. This Inn was absolutely delightful with its country decor, tasty local dishes and brews, and friendly village folk! A mile or so further is Elie, the closet fishing village on the North Sea. A local bus took us up the coast a few more miles to St. Andrews and must-see stops along the way, or south to Edinburgh.
- Pros:Well worth at least a week's stay!!!
- Cons:Off season, less is open or available for use on the estate grounds itself.
- In a nutshell:A destination of its own and so close to so much else, too!
6mirror's Related Pages
Kilconquhar Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Kilconquhar
- 1 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Kilconquhar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kilconquhar
Top 10 Pages
- Valladolid Intro, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alaska Intro, 1 review, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- South Carolina Intro, 19 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kilconquhar Intro, 1 review, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Massachusetts Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Poipu Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chichén-Itzá Intro, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jedburgh Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Germany Intro, 3 photos