"Miami is Florida and more!" Miami by gwened
Miami Travel Guide: 1,336 reviews and 3,160 photos
There are towns that move you but Miami sink you in to absorb all cultures and enjoyment. I worked here for 10 years while living for total 18 in the State not far. My twins were born in its suburbs, towns of joy. Working life was good and we enjoyed all the amenities of a great tropical city.
There is many Miami's as it seems the forefathers could not come up with any other name than Miami this and Miami that. You know Miami Beach, but there is also, South Miami, Miami Springs,Miami Shores, North Miami, North Miami Beach, Miami Lakes, Miami Gardens, and West Miami.
It used to be Dade County when I first knew it and now it is call Miami-Dade county where Miami is the main and capital city. Miami has colorful districts like Coconut Grove ,Key Biscayne,and Little Havana. Because of its proximity and inter relation with the rest of the Americas , the city is known as The bridge link of the Americas or the Gate to the Americas.
Miami comes from an old Tequesta Indian word meaning sweet water (and alas there is a town today also name Sweetwater thereby) . The area is watered by the Miami river and the Intracoastal with two natural parks in its borders such as the Everglades to the west ,and Biscayne to the east. By the intracoastal and confluence of the Miami river you have several islands that link the mainland with the beachside(such as South Beach). Tropical climate close to the tropics of Cancer.
Downtown Miami around Brickell is the 3rd financial center in the USA (NY,Chicago) around its skycrappers in the districts of Brickell, Virginia Key, Watson Island, and the port of Miami. THe cruise industry is big here with the biggest cruise port in the world.
Rich cultural activities on some of my favorites such as the Knight Concert Halll’Gusman Center for the Performing Arts, Coconut Grove Playhouse, Colony Theater, Lincoln Theater, Miracle Theater, Jackie Gleason Theater, Manuel Artime Theater, and the Bayfront Park Amphitheater. Wonderful museums such as the Bass Museum, Historical Museum of Southern Florida, Lowe Art Museum, Miami Art Museum, Villa Vizcaya, and Merrick House. Great parks such as the Bayfront Park Bicentennial Park, Bayside Marketplace, Botanical Tropical gardens of Fairchild, Tropical Park,and Key Biscayne.
Many things to do some are Jungle Island, Miami MetroZoo, Miami Seaquarium mingle with great music events concerts, etc. Pro sports, great public transportation network and roads taking you anywhere even if today becoming a bit congested.
It's a city of avant garde, new, fashion, nightlife, outdoors, you have it all at Miami.
- Pros:parks, everglades,museums, theme parks, nightlife,fashion
- In a nutshell:Miami is a lot more than the Everglades and SoBe!
When my boys were little and born in the State, we used to come here for training riding lessons and they love it. So... more travel advice
When you are on the run leaving a city and find yourself at the airport early (thanks to todays' security) you better... more travel advice
- See All Crandon park beach key biscayne
- See All Great by airport full kitchen hotel...
- How to get in and out of Miami
- See All shopping center chic, nice aventura
gwened's Related Pages
Miami Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "UNdER CONSTRUCTION - CHECK BACK LATER"
- "Miami - Escape from Winter Weather"
- "miami florida"
- "cobrioc's Miami Beach Florida Page"
- "MIAMI: ALWAYS A SPECIAL PLACE IN MY HEART"
- "M I A M I"
- "Best city in the US"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Miami
- Hotels in Miami
- Transportation in Miami
- Nightlife in Miami
- Restaurants in Miami
- Shopping in Miami
- Warnings and Dangers in Miami
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Miami
- 27 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 108 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (341)
Have you been to Miami?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Miami
- Posted in Travel Lourdes Forum "Re: first time traveller"
- Commented on one of gwened's Miami tips
- Wrote a Review Equestrian Center Miami in Miami Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Equestrian Center Miami"
- updated a Miami Travel Page "Miami is Florida and more!"
- Commented on the Miami travel guide
Photos in MiamiSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 383 reviews, 1305 photos, 26 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 224 reviews, 976 photos, 21 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 166 reviews, 612 photos, 11 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 142 reviews, 604 photos, 12 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 121 reviews, 527 photos, 15 travelogues
- Île-de-France Intro, 138 reviews, 380 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 117 reviews, 345 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 52 reviews, 313 photos, 15 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 69 reviews, 267 photos, 4 travelogues
- Quiberon Intro, 69 reviews, 265 photos, 5 travelogues