"The isles of France" Bretagne by gwened
Bretagne Travel Guide: 3,046 reviews and 10,690 photos
For the cities of art and history of Brittany as per the Ministry of Culture of France
A bit of history and facts on my new region of residence.
Brittany (French: Bretagne ; Breton: Breizh, Gallo: Bertaèyn) is a cultural region in the north-west of France. Previously a kingdom and then a duchy, Brittany was united to the Kingdom of France in 1532 as a province. Brittany is considered one of the six Celtic nations.
It is bordered by the English Channel to the north, the Celtic Sea and the Atlantic Ocean to the west, and the Bay of Biscay to the south.
The historical province of Brittany is divided into five departments: Finistère in the west, Côtes-d'Armor in the north, Ille-et-Vilaine in the north east, Loire-Atlantique in the south east and Morbihan in the south on the Bay of Biscay. There is a law from Petain in 1941 that is the root of the separation of the Loire-Atlantique from Brittany, officialise in 1956. However, the Nantaise considered themselves still as part of Brittany.
Some of the principal cities are, (french and gallo, then breton names)
Nantes (Gallo: Naunnt, Breton: Naoned)
Rennes (Gallo: Resnn, Breton: Roazhon)
Brest (Breton Brest)
Saint-Nazaire (Gallo: Saint-Nazère, Breton: Sant-Nazer).
Lorient (Breton: an Oriant)
Quimper (Breton: Kemper)
Vannes (Breton: Gwened, Gallo: Vann) My Breton alias in VT!!!whre I work
Saint-Brieuc (Gallo: Saint-Bérieu, Breton: Sant-Brieg)
Saint-Malo (Gallo: Saent-Malô, Breton: Sant-Maloù)
Redon (Gallo: Rdon, Breton: Redon)
The unique languages of the region are Breton, strongest in the west but to be seen all over Brittany, is a Celtic language most closely related to Cornish and Welsh. Gallo, which is spoken in the east, is one of the romance Langues d'oïl, more Latin based.
Some words in Breton, first the French ,then ,the Breton,then English
Beurre, Aman, butter
vent, Avel, Wind
bara, pain, bread
demat, bonjour, good morning
digemer mad, bienvenue, welcome
douar, terre, land
fest-noz, fête de nuit, night feast
gwenn, blanc, white
heol, soleil, sunshine
kaer, beau, beautiful
ne gomprenan ket, je ne comprend pas, I do not undertand
kenavo, au revoir, goodbye
ken ar c'hentan, a bientôt, see you soon
ker village, town
kig , viande, beef
kozh, vieux, old
mad, bon, good
mar plij, s'il vous plait, please
men pierre, stone
mont a ra, comment allez vous ,how are you
mor, mer, sea
nann, non, No
penn, tête, sommet, head , summit
plou , paroisse, parish
stivell ,fontaine, fountain
ti (ty) maison, house
trez, sable, sand
trugarez, merci, thank you
yar-mat! a votre santé, cheers
official site for Tourism in Brittany is at
and last but not least remember this lesson
a Breton saying "En bretagne la pluie ne mouille que les cons!" meaning In Brittany, the rain only wet the ...dummies
I live in Bretagne, Brittany, Breizh now, and its really wonderful.
But of course walking on history and beautiful architecture with quaint nice towns this is Brittany too.
Dol de Bretagne is between Saint Malo and Mont Saint Michel and close to Rennes with TGV train stop to Paris.
- Pros:people,food,sights,and history
- Cons:not enough public transport
- In a nutshell:The isles of France
Ok passing by here but got me two older photos of nice Cancale want to share with you. Cancale is on a corner of Ille et... more travel advice
nice market on the run and great prices on gasoline/petrol to go away by car on the road warrior days of gwened ::) the... more travel advice
- See All nice country French at Lanester
- See All Abbey St Michel of Kergonan
- See All Bowling at Ploemel
- See All How to get in and out Plouharnel
gwened's Related Pages
Bretagne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brittany -Bretagne - Breizh"
- "Bretagne and Charm!"
- "South Finistére"
- "Forget everything about France!"
- "French, yes, but Breton first"
- "A Very Different France"
- "A Brief Breton Interlude"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bretagne
- Hotels in Bretagne
- Transportation in Bretagne
- Nightlife in Bretagne
- Restaurants in Bretagne
- Shopping in Bretagne
- Warnings and Dangers in Bretagne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bretagne
- 1,222 Reviews
- 4,763 Photos
- 186 Forum posts
- 31 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (288)
Have you been to Bretagne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bretagne
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The Eurovision Song Contest..."
- Wrote a Review Walk and see Cancale in Bretagne Favorites
- updated a Bretagne Travelogue "Driving in wonderful Morbihan"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Church St Jean Baptiste, St Jouan de l'Isles"
- Commented on one of gwened's Bretagne tips
- Commented on the Bretagne travel guide
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 345 reviews, 1091 photos, 20 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 253 reviews, 854 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 194 reviews, 794 photos, 15 travelogues
- Île-de-France Intro, 207 reviews, 571 photos, 7 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 123 reviews, 494 photos, 8 travelogues
- Aquitaine Intro, 104 reviews, 445 photos, 18 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 101 reviews, 419 photos, 11 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 100 reviews, 293 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 71 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Centre Intro, 88 reviews, 253 photos, 2 travelogues