"The isles of France" Bretagne by gwened
Bretagne Travel Guide: 2,506 reviews and 8,073 photos
a link to the Americas from Port Louis, and now a museum showcasing this and other facts of the area in the photo
a bit of history and facts on my new region of residence.
Brittany (French: Bretagne ; Breton: Breizh, Gallo: Bertaèyn) is a cultural region in the north-west of France. Previously a kingdom and then a duchy, Brittany was united to the Kingdom of France in 1532 as a province. Brittany is considered one of the six Celtic nations.
It is bordered by the English Channel to the north, the Celtic Sea and the Atlantic Ocean to the west, and the Bay of Biscay to the south.
The historical province of Brittany is divided into five departments: Finistère in the west, Côtes-d'Armor in the north, Ille-et-Vilaine in the north east, Loire-Atlantique in the south east and Morbihan in the south on the Bay of Biscay. There is a law from Petain in 1941 that is the root of the separation of the Loire-Atlantique from Brittany, officialise in 1956. However, the Nantaise considered themselves still as part of Brittany.
Some of the principal cities are, (french and gallo, then breton names)
Nantes (Gallo: Naunnt, Breton: Naoned)
Rennes (Gallo: Resnn, Breton: Roazhon)
Brest (Breton Brest)
Saint-Nazaire (Gallo: Saint-Nazère, Breton: Sant-Nazer).
Lorient (Breton: an Oriant)
Quimper (Breton: Kemper)
Vannes (Breton: Gwened, Gallo: Vann) My Breton alias in VT!!!whre I work
Saint-Brieuc (Gallo: Saint-Bérieu, Breton: Sant-Brieg)
Saint-Malo (Gallo: Saent-Malô, Breton: Sant-Maloù)
Redon (Gallo: Rdon, Breton: Redon)
The unique languages of the region are Breton, strongest in the west but to be seen all over Brittany, is a Celtic language most closely related to Cornish and Welsh. Gallo, which is spoken in the east, is one of the romance Langues d'oïl, more Latin based.
official site for Tourism in Brittany is at
and last but not least remember this lesson
a Breton saying "En bretagne la pluie ne mouille que les cons!" meaning In Brittany, the rain only wet the ...dummies
I live in Bretagne, Brittany, Breizh now, and its really wonderful.
notre dame stationed at Etel
- Pros:people,food,sights,and history
- Cons:not enough public transport
- In a nutshell:The isles of France
We criss cross the area we live often and eat out a lot. Not looking for anything particular, we came here to do some... more travel advice
this is part of the misterious stones found all over Brittany and especially in the Morbihan whre I live. There seem to... more travel advice
- See All shop gardens supp and food vert
- See All Walk Locminé
- See All Monument to the fallen
gwened's Related Pages
Bretagne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brittany -Bretagne - Breizh"
- "Bretagne and Charm!"
- "South Finistére"
- "Forget everything about France!"
- "French, yes, but Breton first"
- "A Very Different France"
- "A Brief Breton Interlude"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bretagne
- Hotels in Bretagne
- Transportation in Bretagne
- Nightlife in Bretagne
- Restaurants in Bretagne
- Shopping in Bretagne
- Warnings and Dangers in Bretagne
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bretagne
- 766 Reviews
- 2,560 Photos
- 107 Forum posts
- 26 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Bretagne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bretagne
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: A League of (VT) nations."
- Commented on the Bretagne travel guide
- Wrote a Review creperie in the country side Baud in Bretagne Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "creperie in the country side Baud"
- updated a Bretagne Travel Page "The isles of France"
- Commented on one of gwened's Bretagne travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 266 reviews, 630 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 128 reviews, 398 photos, 6 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 106 reviews, 387 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 126 reviews, 366 photos, 6 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 81 reviews, 319 photos, 9 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 83 reviews, 277 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 68 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 85 reviews, 232 photos, 3 travelogues
- Quiberon Intro, 48 reviews, 154 photos, 3 travelogues
- Carnac Intro, 43 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
Top Bretagne hotels
- Brest Hotels
- 136 Reviews - 369 Photos
- Roscoff Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 152 Photos
- Rennes Hotels
- 100 Reviews - 327 Photos
- Perros-Guirec Hotels
- 22 Hotels
- Saint-Malo Hotels
- 230 Reviews - 767 Photos
- Dinan Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 233 Photos
- Paimpol Hotels
- 12 Reviews - 25 Photos
- Morlaix Hotels
- 25 Reviews - 77 Photos
- Saint-Brieuc Hotels
- 43 Reviews - 50 Photos
- Saint-Servan-sur-Mer Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 20 Photos
- Douarnenez Hotels
- 1 Review - 20 Photos
- Dol-de-Bretagne Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 62 Photos
- Cancale Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 52 Photos
- Yffiniac Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Vitré Hotels
- 19 Reviews - 66 Photos