"The isles of France" Bretagne by gwened
Bretagne Travel Guide: 2,714 reviews and 8,931 photos
a bit of history and facts on my new region of residence.
Brittany (French: Bretagne ; Breton: Breizh, Gallo: Bertaèyn) is a cultural region in the north-west of France. Previously a kingdom and then a duchy, Brittany was united to the Kingdom of France in 1532 as a province. Brittany is considered one of the six Celtic nations.
It is bordered by the English Channel to the north, the Celtic Sea and the Atlantic Ocean to the west, and the Bay of Biscay to the south.
The historical province of Brittany is divided into five departments: Finistère in the west, Côtes-d'Armor in the north, Ille-et-Vilaine in the north east, Loire-Atlantique in the south east and Morbihan in the south on the Bay of Biscay. There is a law from Petain in 1941 that is the root of the separation of the Loire-Atlantique from Brittany, officialise in 1956. However, the Nantaise considered themselves still as part of Brittany.
Some of the principal cities are, (french and gallo, then breton names)
Nantes (Gallo: Naunnt, Breton: Naoned)
Rennes (Gallo: Resnn, Breton: Roazhon)
Brest (Breton Brest)
Saint-Nazaire (Gallo: Saint-Nazère, Breton: Sant-Nazer).
Lorient (Breton: an Oriant)
Quimper (Breton: Kemper)
Vannes (Breton: Gwened, Gallo: Vann) My Breton alias in VT!!!whre I work
Saint-Brieuc (Gallo: Saint-Bérieu, Breton: Sant-Brieg)
Saint-Malo (Gallo: Saent-Malô, Breton: Sant-Maloù)
Redon (Gallo: Rdon, Breton: Redon)
The unique languages of the region are Breton, strongest in the west but to be seen all over Brittany, is a Celtic language most closely related to Cornish and Welsh. Gallo, which is spoken in the east, is one of the romance Langues d'oïl, more Latin based.
Some words in Breton, first the French ,then ,the Breton,then English
Beurre, Aman, butter
vent, Avel, Wind
bara, pain, bread
demat, bonjour, good morning
digemer mad, bienvenue, welcome
douar, terre, land
fest-noz, fête de nuit, night feast
gwenn, blanc, white
heol, soleil, sunshine
kaer, beau, beautiful
ne gomprenan ket, je ne comprend pas, I do not undertand
kenavo, au revoir, goodbye
ken ar c'hentan, a bientôt, see you soon
ker village, town
kig , viande, beef
kozh, vieux, old
mad, bon, good
mar plij, s'il vous plait, please
men pierre, stone
mont a ra, comment allez vous ,how are you
mor, mer, sea
nann, non, No
penn, tête, sommet, head , summit
plou , paroisse, parish
stivell ,fontaine, fountain
ti (ty) maison, house
trez, sable, sand
trugarez, merci, thank you
yar-mat! a votre santé, cheers
official site for Tourism in Brittany is at
and last but not least remember this lesson
a Breton saying "En bretagne la pluie ne mouille que les cons!" meaning In Brittany, the rain only wet the ...dummies
I live in Bretagne, Brittany, Breizh now, and its really wonderful.
but of course Brittany is boat, and some of the best boaters,sailors in the world are from here
- Pros:people,food,sights,and history
- Cons:not enough public transport
- In a nutshell:The isles of France
small inland country town in the Morbihan dept 56 of Brittany. This is as rural as you can get here. One resto tabac,... more travel advice
this is a nice property near me, and finally stop by ! its like been back in the middle ages and coming to the... more travel advice
- one for the road we say
- See All good local food and nice service at Baud
- See All the beaches of Damgan.Penerf
- See All simple bakery à la breton, Gaël,Muzillac
gwened's Related Pages
Bretagne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brittany -Bretagne - Breizh"
- "Bretagne and Charm!"
- "South Finistére"
- "Forget everything about France!"
- "French, yes, but Breton first"
- "A Very Different France"
- "A Brief Breton Interlude"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bretagne
- Hotels in Bretagne
- Transportation in Bretagne
- Nightlife in Bretagne
- Restaurants in Bretagne
- Shopping in Bretagne
- Warnings and Dangers in Bretagne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bretagne
- 968 Reviews
- 3,404 Photos
- 144 Forum posts
- 28 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (217)
Have you been to Bretagne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bretagne
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 310 reviews, 887 photos, 15 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 200 reviews, 634 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 155 reviews, 554 photos, 9 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 109 reviews, 409 photos, 6 travelogues
- Île-de-France Intro, 135 reviews, 360 photos, 5 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 94 reviews, 396 photos, 11 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 85 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 92 reviews, 258 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 68 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Centre Intro, 79 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues