"A town all of its own, Sainte Anne d'Auray" Saint Anne-d'Auray by gwened
Saint Anne-d'Auray Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 69 photos
you cant missed is the center of every day life in the town of Sainte Anne d'Auray very near me. Sainte Anne is the mother of Mary, grandmother of Jesus according to the Bretons, and it is ,also, their patron saint of all Brittany.
A local farmer Yvon Nicolazic, hears a woman tells him in Breton language "Me zo Anna mamm Mari", which means in French «Je suis la mère de Marie". Which means in English, I am the mother of Mary.
It was on July 25th 1624, on the eve of the feast of Sainte Anne. ON the March 7 of 1625, he receives a call from Sainte Anne, Yvon Nicolazic discovered in his fields near Bocenno , a statue of Sainte Anne coming from an old chapel that was in ruins. This was the signal authentiating the truth of the appearences.
The story goes, and it continues today as all July 25-26 there is a big religious event here second only to Lourdes in France.
28 steps of suffering for Sainte Anne, there is a beautiful stained glass figure of her in the middle.
A monument to fallen built by the five parrishes of Brittany after the WWI conflict in memory of the 240 000 bretons who died in the war
inside bottom you have a chapel with a flag in stone of each of the Breton parishes.
- Pros:the shrine basilica of Sainte Anne d'Auray
- Cons:all is around the religion
- In a nutshell:The center of Catholicism in Brittany
It a beautiful park on the left side (facing) of the basilica of Sainte Anne d'Auray on the road D102 direction... more travel advice
well walking is always nice, on any town,and we love it. Here we are at 10 kms from home ,and on my way to work. It is a... more travel advice
gwened's Related Pages
Saint Anne-d'Auray Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A uniquely Breton place of pilgrimage"
- "A town all of its own, Sainte Anne d'Auray"
- "Jean Paul II was here"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Anne-d'Auray
- Transportation in Saint Anne-d'Auray
- Restaurants in Saint Anne-d'Auray
- Shopping in Saint Anne-d'Auray
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Anne-d'Auray
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Anne-d'Auray
- 14 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (185)
Have you been to Saint Anne-d'Auray?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Anne-d'Auray
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Cherbourg hypermarket "
- Wrote a Review Nécropolis cementary of Sainte Anne d'Auray in Saint Anne-d'Auray Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Nécropolis cementary of Sainte Anne d'Auray"
- Commented on one of gwened's Saint Anne-d'Auray tips
- updated a Saint Anne-d'Auray Travelogue "Sainte Anne d'Auray"
Photos in Saint Anne-d'AuraySee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 307 reviews, 840 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 138 reviews, 436 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 135 reviews, 398 photos, 6 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 107 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 90 reviews, 383 photos, 11 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 83 reviews, 278 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 68 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 90 reviews, 251 photos, 3 travelogues
- Île-de-France Intro, 77 reviews, 176 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quiberon Intro, 54 reviews, 185 photos, 4 travelogues