"A castle of the ladies please..." Chenonceau by gwened
Chenonceau Travel Guide: 153 reviews and 429 photos
and the castle beyond. History of famous ladies queens of France.So much little stories ,so much history of France. You know its two spelling we all get a kick out it, the town is spell Chenonceaux, and the castle is Chenonceau. Just for a nice lady Mme Dupin, who decided to for ladies sake have it different than the town.
Built in 1513 by order of Katherine Briçonnet, enriched by Diane de Poitiers, then Catherine de Médicis, and in between by Gabrielle d'Estrées and Louise de Lorraine, it is often call the castle of the ladies or château des Dames.
fit for a queen
beyond visiting thecastle, Chenonceau offers the possibility to discover two magnificent gardens: Diane de Poitiers and Catherine de Medici. Adorned with a multitude of shrubs, hundreds of climbing roses and roses stem and planted at a rate of twice a year in spring and summer of 40,000 plants of flowers grown on the field, but also its wooded 70-acre parks, which are no doubt a framework conducive to the promenade and the relaxation.
This garden is bordered by retaining walls and terraces.
The decoration is based on eight triangles of turf, which is embellished with spirals of Santolines with a total length of 3,000 meters.
The Orangerie is open every day from early March to mid November . The Salon de Thé is open every day during the same period from 15h to 17h.
- Pros:The many bedrooms of the ladies of France
- In a nutshell:A castle for the ladies of France,and history.
a lovely castle in addition to my other tip had some photos left, this is a must when in the loire valley, a fine castle... more travel advice
gwened's Related Pages
Chenonceau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ladies Castle"
- "Chenonceau: With an ‘X’ and Without One."
- "Chenonceaux - Chateau of the Dames"
- "The most feminine of castles"
- "Moscow - Chenonceau"
- "Chenonceaux Palais sur le Cher"
- "Chenonceau has the most beautiful castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chenonceau
- Hotels in Chenonceau
- Transportation in Chenonceau
- Nightlife in Chenonceau
- Restaurants in Chenonceau
- Warnings and Dangers in Chenonceau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chenonceau
- 3 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (152)
Have you been to Chenonceau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chenonceau
Photos in ChenonceauSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 280 reviews, 696 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 130 reviews, 402 photos, 6 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 106 reviews, 387 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 126 reviews, 366 photos, 6 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 85 reviews, 341 photos, 9 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 83 reviews, 277 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 68 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 85 reviews, 243 photos, 3 travelogues
- Île-de-France Intro, 63 reviews, 145 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quiberon Intro, 48 reviews, 154 photos, 3 travelogues